Sign in to follow this  

Panels

What is the quickest way to remove the top half of the panel without stuffing up the co-ordinates of the location of the guages and switches on the panel. I am running a dual head matrox and only require the main panel section to be visible on the second panel, set below the scenery screen. Some of the generic panels fit the bill but it would be nice to use those that have been designed by our FS community.Gerry

The simplest way would be to paint over the top half of the panel. But your problem lies here: Most, if not all panels are designed with the view out the windshield all on the main panel bitmap. This means the main bitmap usually has the center post drawn right in. now obviously the size ratio for any full screen bitmap will be 4:3. If the panel is done as described above, the actual panel part takes up only half to two thirds of the vertical space. The actual panel then has a ratio of 4:2 or or 3:2, which doesnt fit the veiw ratio anyways. So no matter what, you will have some blank space near the top or bottom of your panel monitor. So again, my suggestion would just be to paint 0,0,0 over the elements above the glareshield and drag the panel to the top of the monitor.Ian GrantAllied FS Group

Unless you are making the panel from scratch and are very familiar with all of the emements, working with the cfg file directly can be very tedious work at best. A good freeware product for visually moving and placing gauges is CFGEdit, available at www.cfgedit.com. This program, however, cannot manipulate the new XML gauges. The author of CFGedit also has a payware program that is very good called FS Panel Studio. It is available at the site listed above, and if you plan on doing alot of panel editing, I would highly reccomend this program. It is a huge time saver. It runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 USD, but is well worth it if you are going to be doing alot of work.Ian Grant

Thanks Ian,I'm experimenting with stock panels and doing a bit of right clicking and docking a window, moving it to the panel I want it in and will work back from there. The only way I see to get the results I want is to get a panel editor and start from scratch. There must be someone out there who has done the hard yards and has a few pointers using multiple screens. Wouldn't be dead for quids, eh!. Take care.Gerry

Christian,A quick question old son, with regard to the third monitor, and forgive me if this sounds stupid, but how do you get the OS (I take it you are running 98SE or above)to recognise the third monitor. What is the setup, and how does it interact with the other two screens running off the dual head card ? You can email the details etc to me on glaust@optushome.com.au if the details etc run to any length. The sky sounds to be the limit if I'm reading this right with extra monitors. Opens up a whole new ballgame.Gerry