Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly1

Ooooops, Need Some Help With Alpha ...

Well, this try didn't work, but it did look kind of cool.I am having a problem trying to get any texture to show up as reflective. I have made sure the .mdl transfered as having a reflective map. I used DxtBmp to create a texture with an alpha channel. I have applied the texture in Gmax with the UVmap set. And usually all I get is a transparent airplane. This particular shot was when I tried to follow the PSP Alpha instructions from Chris's site.Any comments on what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.BC

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

PS...When I vary the shade of gray for the alpha layer, it only varies the degree of transparancy.BC

Have you named your textures with a _t suffix?Example: fuselage_t for reflective .. and when you use these, you will need to add an alpha swatch for dusk/night/dawn textures with an _L suffic to keep your _t from going transparent at dark. This can be a small 128X128 pixel or 256X256 shade of gray.Hope this helps. It's the only thing you didn't mention. Milton

Bingo, give that man a cupie doll!!!! One thing I am learning is the use of suffixes in designing FS objects is critical. I see many threads mentioning methods of achieving certain task's, but the simple points, such as this are assumed. Is there a reference source for these little tid-bits? I still have a long way to go on my project.Your help has been greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!BC

Also, this small swatch, is this applied to the aircraft? If so, how? Thanks again!BC

The alpha for lightmaps is a simple 256X256 pixel in the shade of gray you need (I think I'm using 75, 75, 75 RGB). Experiment for your taste.Put one in your texture folder for each _t texture with the identical name, just use _L as the suffix. YOu can also use a 128X128 pixel. These are less than 22K each.Hope this helps.MiltonThe Dash 7 Project