Sign in to follow this  
Guest JeanLuc_

Model LOD

Since getting FS2002 I've spent most of my time designing scenery add-ons. But since Microsoft is taking so long to release a much needed Scenery SDK I've decided to try my hand at designing aircraft, until the release of the Scenery SDK.A question I have is that in the Sample MD-83 GMAX Model that came with FS2002 the model contains different LOD models for each object. For example: Fuselage_LOD_5 Fuselage_LOD_15 Fuselage_LOD_45 Fuselage_LOD_70 Fuselage_LOD_100my question is what purpose do these different levels of detail serve and are they required when designing an aircraft? or can I just design my fuselage, name it Fuselage and not worry about these LOD objects?

The answer is a kind of yes and no really. As I'm sure you're aware the various LOD models are to reduce the strain on the graphics engine when the aircraft is too far away for the detail to be visible. Now if you're flying the plane yourself in a clear area then you won't notice any difference, but if you have the plane floating around controlled by the AI, or sitting on the tarmac somewhere as a scenery object then it will make a considerable difference to how smooth FS is if the plane doesn't have LODs.What I'd advise is that you put in the lowest LOD or two (the generic ones that look more like paper planes) and create a low/middle LOD from the highest LOD by simply deleting any smaller parts. This isn't as good as designing all the LODs from scratch but is good enough to give you most of the benefits of a multi-LOD plane with a minimal amount of work.Have funFinn

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi,correct me if I'm wrong but I think that this LOD paramter is in reference to the pixel size of the object on the screen i.e. with LOD 20, this model will be used instead of the others if the object is drawn smaller than 20 pixels on screen. Hope it helps!