Sign in to follow this  

FS 2002 vs. FS 2000 Aircraft Flight Dynamics

Fellow Avsims, . . . I perceive very little difference in flight dynamics and texture appearances between the FS 2002 and FS 2000 aircraft downloads. In some limited cases, an update is given by the author to correct some issues with FS 2000 when used in FS 2002, . . . i.e, AFG with their 737-700's. What has been your experience? Have you seen any significant differences when using FS 2000 aircraft in FS 2002?Thanks.

Frame rates....The FS2000 .mdl file is essentially a dynamic link library..a program, so to speak. Most of the default a/c for FS2002 is made using Gmax, and since the new rendering engine is geared more towards that, it tends to be better on frame rates.If you're not sure how to discern the difference, open up an MDL file in a text editor...if the first two characters are "MZ", then you have an old style FS2000 model. If the first four characters (or thereabouts) include "RIFF", it's a GMAX model. I think the difference is that the GMax model is a container created by a pseudo CAD program...namely GMax. I'm probably wrong here, but that's my theory.As far as FD goes, tough call. Some are better than others...only problem I have with the old style a/c is that you can't see the taxi lights in them.

Hoss, . . . thanks for the reply. I am going to do that check PDQ. Most of my aircraft are FS 2002 specific, . . . however, I have a few that are FS 2000. I loaded Marco's MD 80/87 panel last evening and installed it on one of my MD-83's. Great take off, great intercept with localizer, . . . great hookup with glideslope (initially), . . . great landing configuration. One minor problem, . . . I landed on well, but had no reverse thrust or brakes! Talk about wearing out my shoe leather! Not sure if the problem was with the panel or aircraft until doing some further checks.Thanks.

Hoss, . . . one other problem, . . . even though I had inital hookup with glideslope, . . . and the panel indicated capture, . . . the aircraft did not stay connected with it, thus requiring my intervention.Thanks.