Sign in to follow this  

Converting Textures to DXT3

Hello, I recently downloaded some DXT3 textures for the Flight1 C421 Golden Eagle and I was amazed at how much better the sim ran! I would like to convert all the flightsim aircraft to DXT3 textures and was wondering if anyone knew of any good tutorials out there. Robert

Well you could convert all of your texture files to DXT3, but I don't think it's going to work. Most aircraft models, the .mdl file can only recognize a certain format.. It may be 256 colors, 16bit, or even DXT3. So overall what the textures are now is usually how they have to stay, otherwise you'll just see a blank untextured aircraft. But I could be wrong since I'm no expert when it comes to this, but I think that's how it works ;)And if you do need to convert to or from DTX3 use imagetool.exe which is located in your FS2002 folder here.. FS2002gmaxFlightsimgamepacksFlightSimAnd if you have FS2002 standard edition, I don't think it comes with imagetool.exe, but there are other programs which do the exact same thing, which I don't remember the name of! Jason

I don't know if it's different in FS2002 (I don't think it is) but you can save your textures in any format in CFS2. So, even if you start with 16bit textures in the 565 format you could convert them to 8bit or DXT1 or DXT3 formats and it'll still work. The only thing to remember is that if you have an earlier mdl and are expecting to use the alpha channel of the DXT3 format to get reflective materials that it won't work - I think the texture is simply ignored (or maybe just used for transparency).Have funFinn