Sign in to follow this  

GMAX Created Aircraft for FS2002

Hi all,Wonder if someone can give me some pointers to good information on learning how to create GMAX aircrsft for use in FS2002? I have downloaded some of Mike Stone's creations, and they are great, my hat is off to his abilities, but I would like to learn how to do this too! The other reason is it sounds like from reading some "posts" here on the AVSIM forums that the next iteration of FlightSimulator from Microsoft will ONLY be able to use GMAX generated objects. I sure hope not because of some of the great aircraft that are already out there, my library of planes would shrink real quick, but I realize that the evolution of the SIM may be leading to that ultimate direction, so if that ends up being the case, I would like to start learning, if possible, (hard to teach an old dog new tricks) the fine art of creating my own GMAX aircraft. I have downloaded the Microsoft SDK "GMAX Scenery Tutorial", and it shows how to build a "house" and how to import it into FS2K2, and although I assume this to be the "basic" beginnings, how does one learn how to create "aircraft" like Mike Stone's Boeing 757, 727 etc? What does one need to learn, get, have, to start? Where does the basic airplane shape come from? Are there special software needs? ie; drawing applications?, painting applications? etc. Is everything drawn freehand? what about logos etc from various airlines? If someone can tell me what the basics are to get started, and point me to some good tutorials on the web where I can find step by step procedures I would sure appriciate it.Joe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Right off the bat, get a good book. There aren't any (that I know of) on GMAX but 3ds Max is so close that any good book about it will work fine for GMAX. Then visit a site like www.freeflightdesign.com which has a ton of tutorials, tips and forum material about GMAX. And lastly, just dive in and start playing. Nothing teaches like experience and I learn something new with every new design.Mike Stone

Mike,Thanks for the pointers, and I sure did not expect to get my answer from you, but I do appriciate it. This is such a fun hobby, and I want to try to get more involved with working with the tools that make Flight Simming so much fun. The only bad part is not flying! I guess I will have to balance it out. Thanks again.Joe