Sign in to follow this  
Guest CX001

Boeing 747 with inboard engine.

Guest DanWalloch

Uhhhhhhhh, the 747 has 4 engines!! Not 5

I do believe that AIR CHAOS is referring to a ferry pod.A ferry pod is an engine that is mounted to the port wing (not sure if they do it on the starboard side or not) between the number 2 engine and the fuselage, and is faired in so that the intake has an aerodynamic cover over it. It is simply used to ferry an engine from one place to the other quickly and efficiently.And no AIR CHAOS, I've never seen an FS B747 model with a ferry pod. It'd be pretty cool tho.CF-AOA

Hi CF-AOA,Thats what I'm talking about.It's a shame that no one's created an aircraft like that for FS2002.Many Thanks,J.

Hi J.I'm sure an e-mail to the mel-jet or POSKY website might inspire some of the modellers to add that feature to one of their 747's. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to add the #5 :)There's so many models to fly nowadays that I tend to search out the more unusual ones. I have a sneaking suspiscion that Milton Shuppe and the DHC-7 Team is going to model the Canadian Ice Patrol version. That should be neat, especially if they can create a virtual cockpit of the observers deck. CF-AOA

Hi CF-AOA,Thanks for the advice, I'll try that.J.

I tried many months ago to find the 747 with the ferry engine. The guys at POSKY just didn't care for it. Here is a picture I had from many years ago, enjoy.Ron

Hi Ron,Thanks for the great picture.I found this photo on the Airliners.net website, and thought you might find it interesting. J.(For legal I need to mention that Photo Copyright belongs to Paul Spijkers)

Guest CX001

The spare engine pod is certiifacated in icing conditions up to M. .75 or 300 KIAS, I believe. It is a complete engine except for the fan blades, which are carried in the cargo hold. A fariign is placed over the compressor inlet. All models of 747 can carry the spare engine, but I am not sure about the 747SP. And yes, it can be carried on the left side. During the early days of the 747, the pod was almsot a necessity, because of the early problems with the JT9D. I've never seen a picture of a RB.211 or a CF-6 being carried, but i'm sure they can be.The L-1011's spare pod was an option on all models, and can carry a complete engine, but i'm not sure. AS the photo above demonstates, the spare is carried under the right wing.I doubt the gang at POSKY will have the time to add a spare to one of their models, and now that they have stopped work on all FSDS 747s, the new classics are months in the future. Sure, it would be nice, but it would hardly be used.

Hi Ron,Even the Boeing 707-300 used to carry a spare engine. I found this picture on the Airliners.net website; I thought you may find it of some interest.Many Thanks. J. (For legal I need to mention that Photo Copyright belongs to John Kelly)

Guest FelixFFDS

I like the flightsimming community more than the game itself. Ask a question, and the answers pop up all over. I'd always wondered myself what the "spare" looked like and now I know.Thanks to all for answering the question I never had the nerve to ask.Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Guest CX001

No problem :-)Yep, I forgot to add that the 707s can carry a spare. 727s I believe cannot, since the wing is too low.