Sign in to follow this  

What does axis mean and do in XML gauges?

I am pulling what little hair I have left out over the following:What does the axis represent? I understand everything else.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>I am pulling what little hair I have left out over the >following: >> > > ImageSizes="31,7,52,11"> > >>What does the axis represent? I understand everything else. That is the pivot point, as measured from the left and down from the top left edge of the graphic.Any rotation or movement will use that as the reference point.

This AXIS thing I did not have time to study when I made my XML gauge tutorial, I am not sure I described it correctly.Light bulb moment.At first I didn't understand why you say this is the point it rotates around when the needle seems to rotate centered where you position the graphic with POSITION.I think what you are saying is that the rotation point can be set to anywhere within the graphic. That is the rotation point can be 0,0 or 24,36 etc.Is that correct?Steve

>At first I didn't understand why you say this is the point >it rotates around when the needle seems to rotate centered >where you position the graphic with POSITION. >>I think what you are saying is that the rotation point can >be set to anywhere within the graphic. That is the rotation >point can be 0,0 or 24,36 etc. Yes, that is correct. What is confusing, is that there are several parameters that work together to specify movement:positionaxispoints tononlinearityposition: where on the background bitmap is the 'center' of rotation?axis: where on the 'moveable part' is the 'center' of rotation?for example, needles rarely have their axis of rotation at the extreme end! So, if a needle.bmp is 48 x 13 pixels, then the center of rotation would be some number of pixels measured from the 'left end' of the needle, and 1/2 of the width (e.g., 18,6.5). Where it starts to get confusing, is if the axis is to be closest to the 'right end' of the needle, then the axis might need to be 38,6.5... :)points to: which direction will serve as the initial reference point for the nonlinear movement? In the latter case cited above, where the axis of rotation is towards the 'right end' of the needle, points to would be set to "West."nonlinearity: what coordinates on the background image correspond to a reported value (this is for calibration)I hope this is helpful, as well as accurate! :)