Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhLem

Sorry if this has already been asked---How do you textu

First off ,I am so glad that there is a place where we all can gather to get informed on tricks, tips and other goodies. I work on airplanes love airplanes and now can say design (to some extent)*:-* Well anyway heres what I came to ask.. :-) I try to texture the fuse and the texture covers over the windows(cut out windows) even if I had windows cut out in the texture.:-grr Whats the problem?:-zhelp Also what do you think of this Citation VII? :-eek ,:~P ?It has taken about 60hrs of work to get this far and I plan to go all the way with it(VC,...etc..)

Guest odog

Hi,It appears you have semi transparent widows, did you accidentaly select them when you applied the texture? Its a little tuff to answer your question, I think almost everyone here has a diffrnt way of texturing, I assume youve done all the toots, sometimes you gotta keep running full speed into that brick wall...and figure out what works best for you. Personally, I find texturing the most frustrating aspect of FS modeling but the most rewarding. You can make a great model look like crapola, and vice versa. Sometimes I find it beneficial to shelf a model and just play with blocks and experiment with the textures, Then take what you learn and apply it to the model.wish I could be more help,

To answer your question I did not accidently select the transparent texture. I spent an afternoon trying to figue out how to make windows look like real glass. I think it looks ok but, I am still playing with it and hope to get better results. Do you think the windows look like glass and what are the problems with making that type of texture on the window? Please don't take this in the wrong way all input is appreciated.:-beerchug I already tired to texture the aircraft fuse then cut windows and that works but,I guess I just wanted too see what windows would look like on the aircraft plus there has to be away and I just haven't figured out how to add the texture after the windows have been cut without covering the pre-cut windows. Thanks for your input;)

Guest PhLem

Hello Sandon,Your problem can be easily solved. This is what I use on all my models, and it works perfectly. There are other designers who use the same method. You need to detach all your windows from the fuse. Call them windows or whatever you like. This way you can texture the fuselage whitout covering the windows. Because they are a different object. If you would like to make them reflective, just apply a texture with alpha to them. First make a simple , white texture of 128x128, make a new material in max called glass. Apply the white bmp to all the glass. Then make an alpha, light grey preferably, and safe it with the white texture as DXT3 in your aircraft texture folder. You will need to experiment with the alpha till you get a result that you like. Before I forget, in the Gmax material on the highlight tab, choose 50 for highlight, glossiness at 100 and soften 0.2 for your glass. Again, you can experiment with these settings but I've found these to work the best. You can also use these for you fuselage.Hope this helps.Udo.:-wave