Sign in to follow this  
Guest odog

Multi Textures

Hello,I have a question regarding multiple textures. I just started this method of texturing this week and I really like it. Ive been able to texture and unwrap the fuse to a single map, but as I move to the wings Ive run into a problem.I want to include the flaps and ailerons and the right wing into the same map, but since they are all seperate objects, it creates a new multi material when I try.Do I have to attach the control surfaces to the wing and then apply the Material IDs? Then after I apply the IDs, detach and reset the pivots?Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Hello, >>I have a question regarding multiple textures. I just >started this method of texturing this week and I really like >it. Ive been able to texture and unwrap the fuse to a single >map, but as I move to the wings Ive run into a problem. >>I want to include the flaps and ailerons and the right wing >into the same map, but since they are all seperate objects, >it creates a new multi material when I try. >>Do I have to attach the control surfaces to the wing and >then apply the Material IDs? Then after I apply the IDs, >detach and reset the pivots? 1) You might try using "Named Groups." Finn talks about these in hisvideo dealing with the use of LithUnwrap (third-party program) that issimilar to the UVW Unwrap Editor, except for it's ability to export .bmp templates directly. "Named Groups" are created by manually selecting all objects you want in the Named Grouping, and then simply typing a name in the box at the top right of the screen, pressing Enter key to save the name.For example, I have one Named Group called "fuselage texture," which,when picked, will automatically 'select' all the objects I'd previously defined. This will allow all the UVW maps to be exported as a .md3 (Quake) template file which is then loaded into LithUnwrap.2) Another possibility would be to simply Group all the items you wantin to create mappings for, and then apply a series of Mesh Selects, UVW Maps, etc. just like you would with the single object, then apply one final Mesh Select at the top of the stack, followed by one UVW Unwrap modifier. This should allow you to edit the UVW's in the UVW Unwrap Editor, like you've done before...Personally, I'm going to opt for #2 myself when I try out the 'newlydiscovered technique' on the 'fuselage texture' grouping... This seems less 'messy' and problematic, because I won't have to rely on athird-party Unwrap Editor (which really doesn't do any 'editing' at all, it simply allows you to export the UVW maps and save them as a .bmp texture file! All actual 'editing' of the UVW coordinate nodes has to be done in the UVW Editor anyway!).Thanks for the compliment on the VC gauge lighting. I just wish therewere a way around the problem of being permanently tied to the durnlanding lights bus! :)BTW, if you need any tips on how to do the VC gauges for nightlighting, feel free to ask! I've become somewhat of an 'expert' by now... :)Here's a tip for the day with regards to VC gauges. Although theapplied $display_screens must be square and follow the 'power of 2rule,' there's absolutely nothing that says the surface plane on whichit is 'projected' must be square! The benefit of using only an exactsize/shape of planar surface is that there will never be any unsightly'empty black background' if you decide to apply a 'self-illumination'light map to backlight the gauges! :) I've used circles (for thecompass!), squares, rectangles, and in one case - a trapezoid for my'projection surfaces.'

Thanks Padre!Very helpful stuff here! Ill put it to the test tonight!thank you