Sign in to follow this  

Help for the Aerodynamically Challenged

I've found a very good website that is a companion to an aerodynamcics course. It should be useful to anyone building a homebuilt a/c where you are not able to work from plans.The flaps page is very cool.http://142.26.194.131/aerodynamics1/controls/Page5.htmlIt appears that the Aviat Husky forms a slot between the wing and the flap when extended by a simple swing arm hinge movement. The only question left unanswered was why form a slot in front of the flap when the example showing the principle of a slot shows it on the leading edge. Why combine it with a trailing edge flap unless it helps prevent the flap from stalling?There is an excellent explanation of the history and use of NACA airfoils and airfoil design as it stands today, which was much more helpful than the actual NACA database. Here you get practical advice on real world usage, etc.Is a good starting point for basic terms including a page on airfoil terminology. I really needed some good definitions of chord, root chord and mean chord. The terminology in FS Ed can be very daunting.http://142.26.194.131/aerodynamics1/Basics/Page4.htmlSteve

Steve you have found a great link I know a few thing about aerodynamics I can help you with such things as wing loading like say for example when the wing is banked to a certen bank angle like 60