Sign in to follow this  

Help with modeling in Gmax

Hi Everyone,I am new to building in Gmax and new to building planes in general. I am working on a Saab 340. It's going alright so far. Currently I am working on the nose and this is where I need a little help...or a tip. I have the right side of the cockpit/nose area looking a lot like a Saab. Are there any tools in Gmax that would allow me to mirror the right side over to the left side so I don't have to physically move each vertex on the left to approximate the same position on the right? Help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

>Hi Everyone, >>I am new to building in Gmax and new to building planes in >general. I am working on a Saab 340. It's going alright so >far. Currently I am working on the nose and this is where I >need a little help...or a tip. I have the right side of the >cockpit/nose area looking a lot like a Saab. Are there any >tools in Gmax that would allow me to mirror the right side >over to the left side so I don't have to physically move >each vertex on the left to approximate the same position on >the right? Help would be greatly appreciated! 1) Assuming you're using mesh, use Mesh Edit, Vertices sub-object, highlight/select all the relevant vertices.2) Clone those vertices to a new, named part3) Apply a Mirror Modifier to the new part's stack.4) Reselect the original part, Mesh Edit, Vertices sub-object, pick Attach from the rollout.5) Select the new part you just made, then while still in Vertices sub-object mode, select all vertices.6) Weld all vertices in the group, using .001" (or smallest possible unit available) to permanently join the parts in to a whole.There may be other ways to accomplish what you want to do, but that's one of 'em! :)

Hi Bill,Thanks for the tip! I have been editing it as a poly, but i will convert it to a mesh and try your suggestion. Another question, what is the difference between poly, mesh, and patch when it comes to editing? What are the advantages of each? I guess I've always been using the editable poly because I don't know any better :)Thanks again for the help!Justin

>Hi Bill, >>Thanks for the tip! I have been editing it as a poly, but i >will convert it to a mesh and try your suggestion. Another >question, what is the difference between poly, mesh, and >patch when it comes to editing? What are the advantages of >each? I guess I've always been using the editable poly >because I don't know any better :) Gosh Justin, I'm just an amateur myself! I've always used Mesh simply because I've been told that Poly mode it problematic when exporting to MakeMdl...I just noticed that I left a step out..after the Mirror Modifier in the stack, use the "offset" spinner on the rollout to move the new 'part' until the common vertices are perfectly aligned. :)IOW, if you've cloned the left and wish to make a right, move the mirrored clone to the right until the last row of vertices are perfectly aligned. Then when you do the 'welding,' only those will actually get 'welded.'