Sign in to follow this  

Question on adaptation of VC

Hello All,I'm not a designer of panels at all, but sometimes you do encounter things like a certain gauge which is habdy to aid to existing panels and VC's.Si I encountered the Reality XP gauge whic alerts the pilot of traffic when flying. I adapted the default Cessna 172 2d panel by adding a new windiw with the gauge, but I didn't manage to change the VC. I thing that the principle is the same. To test it I just replaced the annunciator gauge with the Reality XP gauge, giving it the same parameters qua placement and width/height and that worked. however when I wanted it to place somewhere else by using incremental changing the parameters for placement and width/height, it looked like the VC is really a board with holes cut out in it to place the gauges in (like in reality). De gauge showed only partly and partly it was tucked away under the VC panel/board...so I am stuck on this one..Does nayone have a clue and can someone give me a reference to helpMany thanks in advance...:-badteethRob "Holland&Holland" de VriesFor accurate and custom made ambient and nature sounds(sets) for Lago's FSSoundscape go to:"What Is It Like to See with Your Ears"

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>however when I >wanted it to place somewhere else by using incremental >changing the parameters for placement and width/height, it >looked like the VC is really a board with holes cut out in >it to place the gauges in (like in reality). De gauge showed >only partly and partly it was tucked away under the VC >panel/board...so I am stuck on this one.. >>Does nayone have a clue and can someone give me a reference >to help Rob, there's no easy answer to your question, simply because there are several ways to build a VC panel.Some, like myself use flat surfaces and simply project the gauges onto them. Others use a 'mask' with 'holes cut out for the gauges' as you've described.Yet others use a combination of the two.It is really pretty much a question of experiment, and 'hit-n-miss' when it comes to retro-fitting gauges into an existing VC. Sometimes it will work fine; other times, not! :)

Okay it seems there is no way then experiment...so when the default cessna has a 'mask' then I presume that the mask has to be adapted, but I did a search in FS2002 voor this masktexture called $C172 or the like, but never found anything.....:'(Rob "Holland&Holland" de VriesFor accurate and custom made ambient and nature sounds(sets) for Lago's FSSoundscape go to:"What Is It Like to See with Your Ears"

>Okay it seems there is no way then experiment...so when the >default cessna has a 'mask' then I presume that the mask has >to be adapted, but I did a search in FS2002 voor this >masktexture called $C172 or the like, but never found >anything.....:'( You will never find any texture named $xxxx.bmp, simply because they are 'dummy names' assigned to a surface in the gmax model. When FS2k2 sees a name with the prefix $, it knows that it needs to generate a dynamic texture (pure black: 0,0,0) on which to 'project' gauges.Any file with the same name, but without the prefix $ will be used as the actual 'visible' texture for that part.