Sign in to follow this  

3DSMAX 4 compatable

A few newbie questions;Is it possible to build aircraft in 3DSmax 4 and then save my work as a 3Dstudio file and import the 3Dstuidio file into GMax.I use MAX4 every day so I know the program inside out but don't know GMax at all - I assume it's a restricted version of 3DStudioMax.Also - this will be my first attempt at building an aircraft, I know Max4 and photoshop very well so the art side of things shouldn't be too much of a problem, however when it comes to creating an air file, getting all the gauges working etc. I have no idea. Is their any 'programming' to be done? Also is it possible to use air files from other aircraft (with the author's permission)?Finally, where can I find some good tutorials, everyone seems to say that there are lots around but which ones would you recommend?Thanks for the help,Rob

Just regarding yuor first question, as far as I know, the new gMax 1.2 update includes an importer for 3ds files, but not too sure, though. :-)

>I use MAX4 every day so I know the program inside out but >don't know GMax at all - I assume it's a restricted version >of 3DStudioMax. There is a .3ds importer in GMax v1.1 and I used it extensively while building the Socata TB20GT. BobSam created many (most?) of the original bits-n-pieces of the model using Rhino and ProE, and initially saved them in .3ds format.Perhaps he'll chime in with some of the issues he had to deal with regarding scaling, etc.Probably the single most important thing to keep in mind is the importance of the FS2k2 naming convention for parts, since so much depends on having things named according to their canon.