Sign in to follow this  
Guest BP

Airbourne on the ramp...

Hi All, I have a few add-on a/c that sit several feet off the ground (FS2K2) and was wondering if anyone could explain how to bring them back to earth. I saw a file explaining contact points a while back, but I must've been suffering from hypoxia because I didn't DL it and can't remember where I saw it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Bill

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

How an aircraft model sits relative to the ground is defined by its contact points. NOT any part of the visual model. You adjust the contact points until the wheels touch the ground.Look in aircraft.cfg for the particular aircraft.Find the [contact_points] section.Typically, the first three points (zero to two) specify where the landing gear are relative to the model's reference position. Point zero is usually reserved for either the front center wheel or the center tail wheel. The next two are for the main left and right gear.point.0= 1.000, -8.900, 0.000, -2.70, 1574.803, 0.000, 0.510, 39.000, 0.132, 2.500, 1.317, 5.000, 5.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000point.1= 1.000, 3.600, -2.300, -4.30, 3500.000, 1.000, 0.500, 0.000, 0.500, 2.500, 0.780, 0.000, 0.000, 2.000, 0.000, 0.000point.2= 1.000, 3.600, 2.300, -4.30, 3500.000, 2.000, 0.500, 0.000, 0.500, 2.500, 0.780, 0.000, 0.000, 3.000, 0.000, 0.000You want to edit the fourth value in the series, which is the vertical position in feet. You can see this is from a tailwheel aircraft because the point.0 is behind the main gear and the tailwheel closer to the ground (about half the distance, -2.70 compared to -4.30).Edit the values, then reload the aircraft by changing to another aircraft and back again. If you know the correct gear height from the reference, you can enter that value, but I have found that the contact points are off somewhat from the precise measured value, so I have to adjust them a bit by trial and error.Steve

Be sure to check the aircraft on _default_ sceneries. Some addon scenery uses "floating" polygons for paint, which will make an aircraft appear to sink through it slightly - since the actual contact polygon is located below.

Steve and Karl,Thanks a lot for the info...I've been beating myself in the head trying to figure out what series to change. I'll give those a shot and adjust till all feet are firmly placed on the ground.I don't have any add-on scenery as of yet for the New York area, that was my first thought from previous experience. So the contact points were the next to suspect.Happy HolidaysBill

This is why I only adjust gear contact points on a solid runway, like the concrete one at KMFA. Do not try adjusting on grass or dirt, because you will not get a correct visual. The wheels sink a bit.I have a problem with VG09, which appears to be a runway situated on plain terrain, not grass runway. It's very bumpy and my a/c has turned over a couple times landing. I noticed that the tail boom sometimes sinks into the ground about three feet judging from the angle!Steve

>Thanks a lot for the info...I've been beating myself in the >head trying to figure out what series to change. I'll give >those a shot and adjust till all feet are firmly placed on >the ground. A really quick way of determining when the contact points are adjusted right is to choose a time of day when the sun is at a low angle (late afternoon works best for me), and zoom in closely to see if the shadow of the tire intersects with the tire at the ground contact area... :)From another Bill,

Thx Bill. I did just that, set the local setting to a time which offered max lighting and changed the contact points according to Steve's suggestions. It's amasing the change a 1/10th will make. All my aircraft now sit firmly planted on the ground. I even got a few of them off their wheel rims. :)Thx again all for the help.Bill