Sign in to follow this  
Guest bartels

radio height

Guest Eugen

Hi,I have experienced a strange thing about radio height it says 11 feet on ground but if I change panel to a couple of others it says 0. Is there a aircraft height that should be withdrawn?BrgdsEugen(A:Radio height, feet) 2500 <= %((P:Units of measure, enum) 2 == if{ (A:Radio height, meters) } els{ (A:Radio height, feet) } d 2500 <= )%{if}%(1 /)%!04d!0%{end}

Guest bartels

Presumably something like CoG above ground, it will always depend on the aircraft.Arne Bartels

Guest Eugen

It was the same aircraft I only switched panel to a one with C gauges..... that is the stranged thing. So it is dependant upon the aircraft. what does CoG means is CoG above ground a A_var?Eugen

Guest bartels

I'm no aicraft developer so I'm not too sure, but there is a kind of reference point built in every aircraft from which all positionings are made, VOR/ILS/DME/GS, radio height, baro height etc. I assume this is also the center of gravity. However if you have the same plane with different gauges and different radio height readouts, it is very likely that one of the gauges makes an internal compensation, the other not. Apart from that radio height is internally measured in meters, so differences up to approx. 6 feet should be normal (2x3feet) depending on the precision the designer used, i.e. if there is a proper rounding or something like that. Another point could be, that "radio alt" is a relative "new" variable, which was not available before FS2000 (maybe CFSI), so older FS98 gauges had to calculate it from other variables (ground altitude and plane altitude) so differences might occur.In reality radio altimeters should be calibrated so that they display 0 at touchdown with normal landing attitude. So depending on size of the airctaft and location of the antennas the readout can be positive or negative even if the aircraft is just taxiing.Arne Bartels