Sign in to follow this  

Socata TB-9 (WIP)

Thanks to all the help I've received in this forum, my first aircraft is almost finished and ready for upload. I originally started this project as a AI-aircraft add-on for my Hua Hin scenery, but as I got deeper into it, I learned more about aircraft design, and little by little the project grew.I've been designing scenery for a couple years, and my idea was to design some basic aircraft models for use as AI. I started with the B-52, B-1, C-130, B707... but these models were pretty crappy because I was just starting out. They are definitely at the low end of the scale, even for AI aircraft.Anyway, I had been using FSDS to build my scenery, so I had the basic skills that I needed. Plus, there's plenty of good tutorials to fill the gaps in my knowledge when needed. When FSDS2 came along, it offered a little more support for FS2K2, but overall, the program seems to work "better" than it did before. Things just make more sense now.I've been working on this for a month, and it is almost done. It has a custom panel, virtual cockpit, reflective textures, etc. One thing I didn't get into was gauge design, but my "experiments" in XML went pretty well, so maybe next time. For now, I'll just use the Cessna gauges. I know that there was a TB-20 uploaded a couple months ago, and it is a vastly superior aircraft compared to mine, but I am only one man, and I do not want this project to go on forever, so it is almost time to kick it out the door.So, here's some pics. If any prospective designers out there have been frustrated by the learning curve involved in aircraft design, I hope that you will give it a second chance. This isn't something you learn overnight, and you just need lots of patience. There are plenty of helpful people in this forum who are willing to answer specific questions.- Martin

>I've been working on this for a month, and it is almost >done. It has a custom panel, virtual cockpit, reflective >textures, etc. One thing I didn't get into was gauge >design, but my "experiments" in XML went pretty well, so >maybe next time. For now, I'll just use the Cessna gauges. >I know that there was a TB-20 uploaded a couple months ago, >and it is a vastly superior aircraft compared to mine, but I >am only one man, and I do not want this project to go on >forever, so it is almost time to kick it out the door. Well Martin, I think you've done a marvelous job on the TB9, especially considering that you've worked alone! No one is ever fully satisfied with their own work. Knowing some of the things I know now, we'd have done some things quite differently ourselves... :)Anyway, you are most welcome to use the gauges from the TB20GT project if you wish. They're freely available for anyone to use! At the very least, they are 'authentic' Socata gauges... :)BTW, you did capture the different console sizes of the TB9, right?

Guest Fly1

Very nice looking plane Martin! Looking forward to trying it out.Bob C.

>>BTW, you did capture the different console sizes of the TB9, >right? One of the problems I had was getting accurate pictures of a TB-9. Many pictures labeled TB-9 were in fact TB-10s or TB-20s. Plus, there are newer models TB-9s which differ significantly from the older ones in my model. Plus, there are enough options and cockpit add-ons that it seems like you won't find two aircraft with exactly the same configuration.I have that same picture of the cabin that you uploaded, and I think it was the only one I could find that showed this configuration. The pictures I got from the Socata website were that both sides were the same on the newer models, so, for simplicity sake, I made both sides the same. The cabin generally needs more work anyway, so I might change it.- Martin

>>I have that same picture of the cabin that you uploaded, and >I think it was the only one I could find that showed this >configuration. The pictures I got from the Socata website Ok, having found some more pictures of the TB-9 cabin, I would have to say that the majority are in fact more like the one in the picture you uploaded. So, since I seem to have retreived my motivation, I'm going to put a little more effort into the virtual-cockpit than I already have. Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I want to change. Thanks Bill.- Martin

>Ok, having found some more pictures of the TB-9 cabin, I >would have to say that the majority are in fact more like >the one in the picture you uploaded. So, since I seem to >have retreived my motivation, I'm going to put a little more >effort into the virtual-cockpit than I already have. Yeah, >the more I look at it, the more I want to change. Thanks >Bill. Well, I didn't mean to cause you more work... :) I think you've done an excellent job capturing the 'essense' of the TB series. In fact, your roof line is much more rounded (like the real deal!) than our's is.Keep in mind also that you are modeling one of the earlier (pre-2000) models. The major spotting feature between this and the later (Generation Two) models are the windows. The GT versions use bonded glass and interior support members for the roll cage, rather than the traditional exterior 'post' supports.None of the Caribbean Series a/c are truly designed for right seat operation, so most of the instrumentation is 'what won't fit' on the pilot's side... :)In the case of G-TTAC, we modeled the exact instrument/avionics package on board, so there is a bit of redundancy with primary flight instruments, but it's not a complete duplicate.The two leftmost instruments on the P2 side are always the RPM and MAP/FF gauges. The rest of the space is highly variable.As you know, the Socata is not a 'mass produced' a/c, but is custom built to order at the factory.I can't wait to get my hands on her! :)

>I can't wait to get my hands on her! :) If I had a dollar every time I've --- ok, I won't go there :D :DYeah, this is one aircraft I'm looking forward to. A friend of mine is flying the TB9 (rebuilt to TB10?) for real. One day, I'm probably going up there in a TB9/TB10 - it is just so much plain nicer than a "boring" C172. :)There is a norwegian page, but I'll link to the pictures.http://home.online.no/~tb10/tb10bil.htm

Those are some excellent close up pictures of the panel. I especially like the GPS stuck onto the yoke! I think I'm going to calm down a bit on the virtual-cockpit-thing since I am starting to do that thing where I say "just one more thing...".One thing about small planes is that they seem to remind me more of my car than the larger planes do. You know what I mean - flashlight stuck down the side of the seat, ballcap on the dash...- Martin

Very cool - the Flying Club I fly at for real has a TB9, one of the few in Canada. I haven't flown it yet, but it's got a very nice looking cockpit - much more elegant than most of the Cessna 172s we've got. (and lightyears ahead of the poor old 152s...)When this comes out, perhaps I'll do a repaint for C-GDGZ. Some nice pictures: http://www.flyvfc.com/about-vfc/tampico_tb9.htmBrian.