Sign in to follow this  
Guest CX001

Tiger Moth Drag Problems

I downloaded the only tiger moth available form avsim it is the tiger moth collection. Although these planes are wonderful to fly i encounter the following problem.The tiger moth is designed as a trainer aircraft, and should be able to take off from rough surfaces. ( student dont always get it back to the field)When i was flying in Kenia in the neigbourhood of HKKE i had to land because of the enourmous fog. I made it to the ground in one piece and thanx to the biplane character i was able to land on a very narrow sandy surface. When the fog cleared i wanted to take off to my surprise i could not take off. Running at full power the aircraft did not move at all.Done the same test with the floatplane, land it at a lake.. It will float, but wont take off. Have you ever seen a floatplane which cant take off from the water? It seems that it is not powerfull enough to cope with the extra drag involved. Can the original designer or anyone else take a look at it?leon schuiling

Guest jlwoodward

Like you say, it is something that the original designer should take care of. However, there are a couple of things that you can check. One is to cut back on the fuel load to reduce the aircraft weight. This often times helps on water. Another thing is to look in the aircraft.cfg file for a line called prop thrust factor, which probably has a value of 1.00. Try 1.25 or more and see if that helps. Trouble is, it may also change the rate of climb and cruise speed. Cruise speed can be reset by changing the parasite drag factor up or down.Can't promise that this will work. There could be a lot more wrong.John WoodwardP.S.- just thought of something else. You are using FS2002? In FS2000 or in some sceneries from FS2000 that are used in 2002, the water surfaces don't work. If 2002, you should be definitely in the water and not near the shore where you will get stuck.

Guest CX001

I've never had nay problems with that Tiger Moth collection. What John said makes sense. It takes alot of power to taxi into the water and out if you have an amphibian.