Sign in to follow this  

FSDS2 Tutorial

Okezz, I promised to write and post a simple FSDS2 "Shaping a fuselage" tutorial. Ready? Here we go!BTW: I just hope that this posting is OK with the forum OPS. :DI mean the the regulations and stuff.Block A "Backdrops"===================Step 1: Find a suitable blueprint/3-view drwaing.-------------------------------------------------A good source for that is: If it's not there then you'll have a hard time to find one. Try [link:www.freeflightdesign.com]Freeflight Design] and check their resources or try to scan one. For this tutorial I've choosen the Tupolev 124. Finally gather all the measurementinfo you can.Step 2: Prepare the backdrops for usuage with FSDS2.----------------------------------------------------Here are some directives/thumbrules:- Sideview, the nose should always point to the left -> Otherwise your model will fly backwards.- Topview, the nose should always point up.- Frontview, doesn't really matter.Step 3: Load the backdrops into FSDS2.--------------------------------------Here are the directives for doing that:- Select the windowpane in which you want to load a backdrop. Let us try the side view first. Click on the bottomright windowpane where the axisindicator sais "Right". It should become marked with a yellow border.- Now, click the "View" menu and then on "Backdrop", let the submenu unfold and click on "Load". (See figure 1). A file open dialog appears. Locate the sideview backdrop and click "Open".- Repeat the previous two directives to load the "Top" and "Front" backdrops.http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure1.jpgFigure 1: MenuStep 4: Scaling the backdrop.... Oh boy...-----------------------------Okezz, scaling isn't that difficult, you just need to check you FSDS2 settings to make sure that you are either working in feet or meters. To check the settings click in the menubar on "File" -> "Preferences". The "Preferences" dialogwindow will appear. Check the either feet or meters on the right side. Now it's time to scale the backdrops. GMAX will probably work differently, but with FSDS2 you have to scale each view seperatly. Here we go, again let's do the sideview first.- Expand the sideview in order to get the most accurate result in scaling. Rightclick in the sideview windowpane and choose "Expand view" from the menu.- Set the zoom so that the backdrop will fit entirly on screen.- From the menubar choose "View" -> "Backdrop" -> "Scale". The "Scale" dialogwindow will appear.- From now it's quite simple. Place your mousecursor over the tailpart where the fuselage ends (do it accuratly) and click once. A value will appear in the grey textbox called "Click 1". You've probably already figured out where the second click should take place. That's right! At the nose part. Again, do it accuratly. The "Click2" field should now be filled too. All you have to do is type in the length of the fuselage in the textbox called "Distance". The value should be in meters if you have choosen meters in the preferences. Otherwise the value should be in feet. Leave the field called "Backdrop image pixels" as it is and click "Apply". - Create a testtube To mark the center of all axis and adjust the position of the backdrop accordingly using the CTRL + Arrow keys.- To make sure you scaled it properly you can use the "ruler tool". See Figure 2 for the menubar location.http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure2.jpgFigure 2: Ruler tool locationRepeat the previous directives in step 4 in order to scale the "Top" and "Front" backdrops.Just to make sure you've got the directions right: compare your work with Figure 3. Everything ok? Save your work.http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure3.jpgFigure 3: OverviewCongratulations. You've just created the startingpoint for your project. Doesn't it feel like "Genesis"? ;)Block B "First Shapes"=====================Note: Very basic understanding of FSDS2 is assumed.Step 1: "Vertical Shape"------------------------- Create a tube (see FSDS help for help on creating a tube). Make sure it's round enough and that is has enough cross sections. You'll need them later.Tip! Don't try to model the entire fuselage out of one tube.- Place the tube over the nosesection. See Figure 4.http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure4.jpgFigure 4: Nosesection- Switch to Cross Section Mode by pressing F9.- Okezz, like Bob Ross sais "It's time for you to make some big decissions"... Yes, it really is. The trick is now to place the cross sections at convenient places so that you can shape the fuselage. Altough this step covers "Vertical Shape" I want you also to consider the top view for the lateral shape. So don't just add or place cross sections to make the fuselage look good from the side but do that also for the top view. See Figure 5 for my choices. http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure5.jpgFigure 5: ExampleMental exercise: Try to reason why I put the cross sections exactly at those locations. Also take note that the tube doesn't cover the "glass" part of the nosecone. There is a reason for that too.Done thinking? Well then, let's resume the tutorial.- Stay in the Cross Section mode and click on the "Scale" button in the buttonbar. That's the button with the four arrows on it. Next to that button you'll see the "X", "Y" and "Z" button. Click on the "X" and "Z" button. You have now restricted the scalemovement to the "Y" (vertical) axis.- Select the cross section you want to scale and start moving that mouse until the cross section has the desired height. Don't forget the with the scale option not only the height of the crosssection is being adjusted but also it's position. Switch from "Scale" to "Move" to adjust the posiont. I strongly recommend to restrict the axis to only the "Y" axis for this step. Do that with all applicable cross sections. See Figure 6 for my results.http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure6.jpgFigure 6: ExampleTip![/b You might want to add more cross sections to smoothen the curves. Observe the nosecone.Step 2: "Lateral Shape"-----------------------Right, having done the vertical shape this should be easy and fun as you see a tube take the form of the nosesection.- Again choose the "Scale" mode and this time restrict all axiz but the "X".- Expand the top view (larger overview provides a better result in shaping) and start moving the mouse in order to adjust the lateral shape. Go!See Figure 7 for my result.http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure7.jpgFigure 7: ExampleOkezz, now you know the basics of shaping a fuselage feel free to create a bunch of other tubes and lay out the basic form of your planes fuselage. If I have the time and there's enough interest in this kind of tutorials then the next one will be "Detailing the nosesection" or better said "How in Gods name can I create those fancy cockpitwindows?". ;)See Figure 8 for the final result of my effor put into the fuselage.http://members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/figure8.jpgFigure 8: Basic fuselage of the Tu-124That's it for now. Have fun and good luck!

Guest Fabio Miguez

Thanks, Alexander! That is a great and useful tutorial. i am sure many people will appreciate it.

Thanks Fabio.BTW, I've uploaded the 3-view for the Tu-124 in case anyone would like to have it. :)It's a hi-res pic so just copy and paste the following link into a new browser window.members.ams.chello.nl/aschreyn/tutorial/Tu124.jpg

Thanks Alex so just cut each pic into one piece? ok

Saved - 1 guess as to where it'll show up next?