Sign in to follow this  

Desparately Need help with units

Okay, I know what you're thinking, units are easy to work with. Well, I also know I've asked this before, but haven't had the results I've been expecting. I've been working on a Pilatus PC-9 aircraft for FS2002 in gMax and set my units in the preferences to 1 unit = 1 meter. Then I've set my unit setup dialog to meters. Then, I import my 3 view drawings which workout nicely. But, when I create a box that's w:10.17 l:10.12 h:3.29 meters, the box is tiny. And when I zoom in, my backgrounds are huge. I have them set to match viewport and lock zoom/pan. The background images themselves are cropped to the exact edge around the plane in each view and sized to 1 inch = 1 pixel. So if it is 33 feet, 33 * 12 = 396 inches or pixels. This is it, guys, if I can't find a solution, I'm trashing the pilatus and giving up on aircraft design for FS. I'll offer the source to the first person to ask. I can't deal with it when it's this tiny. I do alot of moving around the aircraft and shaping and such and that's nearly impossible when it's this small. It's at just over 6000 polygons and so far I'm very proud of it. Please help! :-hmmmJim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If I'm reading correctly, you're loading the backdrop images directly on the viewport? While that's "in the instructions" a much better way is to set up planes in each view and map the corresponding view to the plane.For your top view, make a plane of w:10.17 l:10.12 and making sure that you're top view is scaled appropriately (1017x1012 or 101.7 by 101.2, etc) map it to the plane....Do the same for the other views - front and side.Whether you leave the planes in the center, or move them to the "sides" is your choice.Then whether you zoom in or out in your scene, your backdrops, tied as they are to objects, scale match your PC-9for a simple tutorial that explains this better: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials/...undtutorial.zip

Okay, I like that idea. I've done that before, just never really liked it, but, I may have to warm up to it. What about the tiny size, though. If you've got a small object to work with you know zooming in on it makes it harder to work with. Anyways, thanks a million for that suggestion, I've already dl'd the zip file.Jim>If I'm reading correctly, you're loading the backdrop images>directly on the viewport? While that's "in the instructions" >a much better way is to set up planes in each view and map the>corresponding view to the plane.>>For your top view, make a plane of w:10.17 l:10.12 and making>sure that you're top view is scaled appropriately (1017x1012>or 101.7 by 101.2, etc) map it to the plane....>>Do the same for the other views - front and side.>>Whether you leave the planes in the center, or move them to>the "sides" is your choice.>>Then whether you zoom in or out in your scene, your backdrops,>tied as they are to objects, scale match your PC-9>>for a simple tutorial that explains this better:>http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials/...undtutorial.zip>>