Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

XML Carb Air Temp gauge question

Guest MilesM

How do I get the Carb Air Temp in an XML gauge? I think I know how to change the air temp with the "Eng1 Anti Ice" and "General Eng1 Anti Ice Pos" events. But does anyone know how to get or calc the air temp? Fred Banting did it the beaver but I need a gauge for eng2. I am working on a Caribou panel.Thanks for any help.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Miles.Maybe I am too tired, but I don't understand exactly what you want to do. Is it retrieve the outside air temperature, or the temperautre iof the air in the carburator?And what did you mean by "change the air temp with the "Eng1 Anti Ice" "?

Guest MilesM

I want the carburator air temp. Which does not always equal outside air temp.About the Eng1 Anti Ice, as far as i can tell this turns the anti ice on. Since the only place that forms ice in an recipricating engine is the carburator, I though (posibly incorrectly) that Eng1 Anti Ice would start to warm the Carburator.I'm getting tired too, is that any better?

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Miles.As usual, the SDK lacks in clarity. I warn everyone I try to help that I code in C, and know nothing about XML. But you never know when you might be able to help, so I write replies :-).By searching for the keyword ICE in the EventID doc, it seems you are right, it seems the event you refer too, which has pretty much the same name for C, turns on and off engine anti ice. And since I did not find any carburator heat event IDs, I'd say it is fair to assume this would turn carb heat on in piston engines, and possibly engine anti-ice (both boot or bleed) on turboprop/turbojet/turbofan engines. But remember, this might be wrong, only testing would reveal it (by checking to see the carb heat position, as indicated by the CARB_HEAT TokenVar in C).I did notice however that no carburator air temp was available as a TokenVar. But from my flight trainig and several books, it is assumed that the carburator air temperature is prety constantly 10

Guest MilesM

Fabio,Thanks for the information about the carburator air temp.As far as i can tell the information from the SDK transates pretty well between C and XML. It has been a couple of years since I've written anything in C, I've been doing Pascal(Delphi) for a long time now. I worked at Borland for over 8 years and I have a mental block against installing Visual C on any of my computers. if XML doesn't hack it I may have to resort to C. Might be fun!!Thanks Again

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Miles.As ar as I know, C is better for two reasons: vectors and more complex programming ability.I work mainly on vector gauges, and from looking over some XML structures, just feel more at home in the C programming environment.Well, you could always write your C code using any text editor, then run it through Borland's compiler, to stay faithful ;-).Anyways, let us know how the gauge turned out, and if you could use more help.