Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

What values make the plane bounce?

HI I'm struggeling with a MD80 aircraft.cfg. I'm a newbie to this but willing to learn. For the moment I having problems with a MD80. I have been steeling some values from other aircraft.cfg files but the plane seem to be very light upon touchdown and bounces a couple of times. Doesn't matter what speed or if I flare/not flare. Where in the cfg file do I change values for that particular behavior?

Guest Milton

One possibility is the contact points expression of the suspension characteristics. (in the aircraft.cfg)Contact points 0 (nose), 1, and 2 (main gear) parameters 9,10, and 11 dictate to FS the suspension travel stated as static compression, max to static compression ratio, and damping (think shocks). These if properly set define the model's suspension total travel, compression sitting on the ground, and "stiffness of the springs".The challenges are to match the model's animation, match the distance to the wheels from the datum reference point, finding the correct distance to the tarmac, and determining the proper damping of the suspension.The contact points are described in the Aircraft Container SDK which can be found here:http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02DevDeskSDK00.aspA bounce issue may be caused by overly stiff springs for the weight of the aircraft. For example, if static compression reads .1 feet, and max to static ratio is 4, then we have defined very stiff springs.This would induce rigid suspension and stiffness (bounce).If we defined the same with .5 and 1.5, this would give you soft springs.For damping, try .9 to 1.0.I might add that ideally, the animated model suspension travel would be matched precisely in the aircraft.cfg for best suspension workings. Generally, 25-30% of total travel would be consumed at static compression (parm 9).Milton

Guest Fabio Miguez

Milton said it all. And great Spider-Man animation, LMFAO!

Tnx Guys. It's not bouncing anymore but it feels very light. Once again TNX