Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

XML in FS2K -- A test gauge

I've learned a bit of XML; mainly to make FS2K2 test gauges. Unlike most XML gauges, my code is mostly calculations; only the digital data is written to the gauge window. I have figured out (with some ideas for other XML gauges): How to initialize constants How to 'strobe' code blocks once every N 'dos ticks'. How to calculate some fundamental aerodynamic parameters easily from FS 2K2 Parameters. Often easier than with 'token variables' used on C gauges. And, with some ideas from others, I have nearly finished accurate EPR/EGT code by prototyping it in XML RPN. EPR and EGT is still inaccurate in FS9. It should be simple to approximate EPR by coding "EPR = b + m*CN1" that will be much better than the FS EPR. I used a more complex fit, but started with the above. By using 'Corrected N1', temperature variations are accounted for. At least that approach worked for JT8D turbines, for which I have a large N1, N2, EGT vs EPR table. That will give a reasonable relationship between N1 and EPR, though N1 vs thrust has to be accurate for EPR to be accurate. EPR is very important for the jets that use it for setting power. I'm not aware of any accurate EPR display in Jet Transport panels. EPR typically runs 1.70 to 2.1 in cruise, depending on the turbine. This is the region it should be accurate. Though, landing may be around EPR = 1.3, so that region has some importance. Much more should be possible in FS 9 XML. Ron

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!