Sign in to follow this  
Guest IanK

Taxi Friction??

Guest BobL

I've noted in several different models, particularly GA pistons, that it takes an exorbitant amount of power for both break-away and to maintain taxi. Sometimes better than 1500 RPM while some of the payware flight models have it dead on correctIs there an airfile/cfg parameter that I can adjust to reduce the amount of break-away power and taxi power required without completely hosing up the remaining drag/power/lift characteristics of the flight model? I've tried adjusting the idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.3000parameter but this doesn't seem to have any effect on the power required for break-away nor taxi speed maintenance.Thanks in advanceBobL

Guest IanK

This is a standard MS bug in the scenery model:Here is a sort of canned answer:................. #121655, "RE: Ground Friction On 2004"In response to Reply # 0Thu Jul-10-03 11:35 AMby jcomm 1) Nope, fs2004 stays the same in terms of ground friction. I think this has to do with the simple fact that, starting in fs5, MSFS no longer had two models, one for ground handling, and the other wich was enabled as soon as the aircraft got airborne. Because of this missing feature, models that are accurately designed (like the Siai Machetti), tend to slip sideways along the rw during takeoff due to the torque and slipstream effect. If you set up winds, even the airliners slip sideways if they have their FMs correctly parametrized - why? because there being no special treatment of ground physics they weathervane just like if they were airborne...2) MSFS tried to overcome this problem by increasing ground friction, having as a side effect that a LOT of thrust is required to get most aircraft to taxi speed and to mantain it...3) Yes, the Jet engine model can be tweaked (at least it could in fs2002, by editing Table 1506 of the ".air" file. If we do it correctly (just as I did for PICA320... ) it'll not affect flight regime because you have mach on the Y axis, and you can modify thrust up to a mach value corresponding to, say, 80 KIAS, thus having no effect as soon as you get airborne with most airliners.4) As you can test, in fs2004, the LearJet is very well designed (it has the most complete 1506 table I ever saw on any MSFS air file!!!). It taxies perfectly at ground iddle under a wide range of GWs.Maybe fs10 will bring us back the two physics models (used in fs4). ......................I better fix is the throttle tables set high for very low Mach numbers.Ian