Sign in to follow this  

float planes

Can anyone tell me what is necessary to make a floatplane float, in FS9. I downloaded the Grumman Mallard and installed into fs9 along with the updates etc. When I land on waterthe program treats it like a crash??????Help!!!!Grayfox

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If it was a float plane in FS2002 it should move into FS2004 with no change. There could be a problem with the contact points in the cfg file, since you mentioned updates. Something could have got switched around. Usually if the float contact points are the problem the plane will sink or bounce around. You may have to contact the plane designer for help.Another possibility is that objects near the plane are causing a crash even if they do not appear to be contacting. Turn off crash detection and see if it helps. I had this problem with some sceneries in FS2002.John Woodward

There has not yet been an official update for the Mallard partly due to this problem. There appears to be a flotation point, (class 4 contact point), bug of some kind in FS2004. As the original author of the FS2002 Mallard FDE I have been studying this since Heather Sherman first reported the bug here a few days ago. The exact nature of the bug is difficult to identify. Some FS2002 hydroplanes when imported into FS2004 float without conversion. Others are 'rejected'. These include for instance Stephen Grant's Beaver floatplane as well as the Mallard amphibian even though they are otherwise FS2004 compatible subject to the usual mandatory aerodynamic FDE updates.All I can do at the moment is shed the following light on the investigation to date.I have on my hard drive a Catalina which was never released. The flotation points work identically in FS2002/04. When I alias the Mallard model from the Catalina FDE the result should be a Mallard MDL floating with the wrong (PBY) sinkage. What actually happens is that the Mallard crashes as soon as the MDL touches the water even if the 'drop' from static CG is set at 0.1 feet. If crash detection is turned off it bounces repeatedly as though dropped from a great height even though it is dropping from 0.1 feet. It makes a very tiny visible splash on water contact and then bounces hundreds of feet from the slight contact (or generates an aircraft crash). Increasing crash resistance to 32K has no effect. The problem exists with or without realistic scrape points, with or without realistic gear points, with or without water rudders declared in the FDE. The gear animations work correctly and the gear is retracted when selected for use with a .FLT saved using the C208 amphibian on water. Landing the Mallard on water with the gear up has the same effect as selecting it for use with a water start .FLT described above.As Heather reported a few says ago if I increase the contact point class 4 offsets until the MDL is clear of the water it will happily levitate just above the surface and land whilst levitated, but any attempt to immerse it causes crash or huge bounce. When the default C208 class 4 flotation points are substituted it will again happily levitate but will not immerse.Note that this is both without any scrape points declared or with the scrape points declared well above water contact.I do not create MDLs.Is it possible that hydroplane MDLs (animations??) should have a hydroplane switch set to TRUE, but that FS2002 did not mind if this was not done? Unfortunately 'Gazzareth' who created the MDL is no longer active and I do not have access to the MDL source code. If this is an MDL issue it may not be fixable.Note that the tests above prove that the error is not in the FDE. The FDE work just as they did in FS2002 when the Catalina or the default C208 MDL is aliased. It is aliasing the Mallard (or Grant's Beaver) MDL from fully functional FDE that causes incompatibility.The rest of the official Mallard FS2004 FDE update is done. It selects onto, and lands onto runways, with the gear down, without any error and without any changes to the class 1 or class 2 contact points.Does anyone who creates MDLs or writes animations recognise a possible source of this MDL /animation incompatibility in FS2004?