Sign in to follow this  
Guest airhead

Aircraft precipitation texturing/mapping and other stuff

Greets all,Just wanted to post some info I found poking around in FS9. Trying to get a lead on some of the new aircraft features in lieu of the SDK. Anyone taking bets on when it will be released? If the 02 SDK is any barometer, I suspect we won't see it until December (at least). Anyway, here goes...While inspecting the default fs9 J3 in a hex editor, I noticed a few things:It appears as though control surface and VC cockpit controls are animated via FS variables, just as your XML gauges do. I believe CFS3 models actually used FS variables to control polygons for the gauge needles in VC's, instead of using XML or C gauges.I found something tagged "AMBIENT PRECIP STATE". I suspect this has something to do with the precip mapping on aircraft windows. Something else I found relating to precip mapping. Check out the fs9 Texture folder. You will find 32 bitmaps, 16 named VCRainMoving00XX.bmp and 16 named VCRainStopped00XX.bmp. Maps for windscreen precip? Now if I can only figure out how to use them...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!