Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Aircraft model

Guest dscurrie

Hi, it is possible to export the existing aircraft model in Flight Simulator into an interchangeable file format? I'd like to import the 3D model of aircraft into another software such as Maya, Lightwave, 3D Studio Max, etc. Is this possible??Thanks.

It's not possible, for obvious reasons. Piracy would be off the charts if you could take an existing mdl and import/modify it in an external program. I do wish there were a utility that would at least allow for the cloning of parts so things like dynamic wing and engine views could be added by the end user.... But that's wishful thinking, and won't happen...-John

Guest A386

>>It's not possibleThat's possible at least since the year 2001.There is no piracy as long as you don't publish modified work.For your home use you can do what ever you want in a democratic country.First off the MDL format is a public 3D specification.There's no mystery or protection about it. Some toolz to extract MDL constructions:- Aircraft Container Manager (ACM) 2.1- MDL2DXF Converter 4- ...Goolge for the links.Developers that wanna bring their FDFS format into Gmax should go for ACM.

I thought the model conversion utility was pulled by ACM because of flak received?. Also, I'm not saying that people who want to edit models are pirates, but tools that make it easy make it easy for those that want to be pirates.... Heck...I'd be interested in such tools as well--especially if they could convert aircraft into FSDS format. I'm still learning the craft, and anything I can learn from looking at what others have done would allow me to be that much better...-JohnEdit: Per ACM's website, ACM cannot export GMAX or FSDS 2 aircraft.... The same is true for MDL2DXF.... So as far as the default 2k2 or COF aircraft, there is no tool that does such a conversion....