Sign in to follow this  
Guest airhead

Issues with nav and strobe lights in VC

Greets all,I released an aircraft back in August for FS8. In this package I had set nav and strobe lights to be visible from the VC. From the pilot's viewpoint, you could see the glow from the navs and the flash aura from the strobes. After flying for some time, the whole light effect becomes visible through the wing geometry. This also occurs in the FS9 version I am putting together as well. I have tried tweaking the effects files, even making a separate set of light effects with mods in attempts to stop this from happening. I also tried moving the effect placement farther from the wing tip. Needless to say, I've had no luck, hence this posting.My questions are:1) Has anyone else experiencing this with any aircraft?2) If yes to #1, has anyone found a way to keep this from happening?3) (for real pilots) Can you actually see any lighting in the cockpit from these lights on a real aircraft. Keep in mind that this is a high-wing aircraft, similar to a C172.If the answer to #3 is "no", I guess my problem is solved by simply removing the effects. If, in fact, #3 is "yes" (my money is on this one), I really would like to include them as I think they add a little something to flying in the VC, especially at night. I noticed that MS doesn't show nav and strobe lighting effects in their VCs. I wonder if this is the reason for them not including these lights. The only other thought I had is that it might be an issue with my graphics adapter (ATI Radeon 8500 128), but I experience no other problems with this adapter in the sim.Thanks for reading guys. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The problem I've had with effect files, is that the "visible from" tags doesn't mean anything. I like using several (two or three) lights in virtual cockpit for nice illumination of various type. The result is that I get in conflict with other lights, usually the rotating/flashing beacon types will interfere with the cockpit lights. For me, the solution was to eliminate the "light/shading option" (?) within the beacon effectfile (only have "normal" particles there). Sure, it won't light up the aircraft externally, but I'd rather have that than bad distortions. I'm a cockpit flyer.As for real life. Yes, in small GA's especially the beacon, if rotating, is adviced to turn off while in the soup, as it's "shine" onto the fog can help cause disorientation/vertigo. I've been in C172's where the reflection from the flash on the gear was so strong as to be annoying. On a recent trip in large airplane, I even noticed that they turned off the beacon/strobe at night somewhile after takeoff. These lit up BRIGHT on the wing/engine (737), but I've never thought the pilots would notice this...Ohh, gotta go :)

Hey Karl,First off, thanks for the reply. Was beginning to think my post was invisible. :)I've had some luck with the "visible from" tags before, though with exception to the rotating beacon. That thing still illuminates the cockpit even if you have Virtual Cockpit=0 in the effects file. Seems to be worse the closer the beacon effect is to the cockpit as well. For this particular aircraft, I'm thankfully not using one of them. I think I may try something with the shading/light option, not sure but I may have overlooked that one. The thing that strikes me as odd is that it doesn't appear to happen after X number of minutes. It's rather random, and once it happens, it doesn't go away unless I shut down FS and restart. Even then it is sure to show up again after a random length of time. Guess I will keep experimenting with it. The only other idea I had was to use light effects built into the model file for the VC model strobes and navs. While I think these effects don't look as nice as the .fx files, it may not look that bad from the VC. Sure would beat the whole effect showing through the wing tips.Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. :)