Sign in to follow this  
Guest CX001

Unit and scale errors in gmax

Hello everyone. I was in the process of texturing my S.6B model yesterday and ran into a problem. At first, the texturing was going very well. I decided to texture the cylinder block fairngs differently than at first, so I went back into gmax after taking a look at a different model that was in the Imperial unit system(and I allowed gmax to make that unit sytem the "set" one instead of scaling). I switched back to Metric before loading the S.6B model, and proceeded to try to retexture the model with th UVW modifier. However, the modifier acts like it's in feet, despite the units being in meters(it converts exactly; 3.28' per meter). They are exactly scale too(for example, the map size whould be 7.407m, but now the model is about 23m long according to the modifier by using the "fit" option). I tried creating a few primatives to check that my model wasn't rescaled, but it was bang on. The Gryphon tutorial suggests resetting the scale, which I have tried and does nothing. Any ideas? Would a gmax reinstall be wise? Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

did you try the "merge into a working scene" trick?there's a fix here, DO NOT REINSTALL!joe

Never heard of that trick... lol. ;-) I think I get what you mean. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Such a powerful program, but a complex one at that. Never met a program with so much quirks to it.

quirks? lol when the first makeMDL came out, it was so buggy that i would go through this superstitious routine on each compile. It worked about 25% of the time ;-)i think all the errors and 'quirks' are mainly designer related nowadays. (no offense) As you gain experience, you learn how to avoid most of them. I havent had a real hanger in quite awhile. (knock on wood, rub rabbits foot, and adjust the horseshoe.)good luckjoe

lol No offense taken, Joe. I'm relatively new to gmax(i've been using it for on a few months). I come from using AutoCAD for Architectural design work(for school and at a Firm), and gMAX was really a step in another direction(quite a shock in many ways). I'm used to everything being VERY organized and ordered. In a typical model, you have hundreds of parts that all have to have proper heirarchical orders, be textured, animated/tagged, etc, and they are hardly perfe. For example, I can hammer out commands for most of the tools and functions because of AutoCAD's command line. Gmax, i've heard has something similar, but I have yet to figure out how to configure it, so i'm still clicking toolbars, which really is a pain. Problems like the one this topic is about just don't appear in AutoCAD. The CAD community would almost kill Autodesk if things like that appeared(I must admit autocad does have bugs of sorts, but they are more leftovers in the code from many years ago). In AutoCAD, there are several tools like object snap, which is s snap tool which can be set to "snap to" locations on objects, both ones selected and not. They are VERY helpful in ensuring that you are getting objects precisely aligned. Also, in Autocad, there isn't that annoying 1/2 degree limitation on degree divisons(at least for me). Still, I am very impressed, especially since it's free, and a very powerful program. AutoCAD is almost unuseable for making an object like an airplane(it has 3D capability, but is more the kind of tool for making an Allen wrench of precise dimensions), which is why I turned to gmax. Sorry for the long rant of sorts. :-roll