Sign in to follow this  
Guest simagic3d

Gmax, Textures, and FS9 again

Guest simagic3d

Those who know anything about .asm files, please looks atthe begining lines below and tell me something about thetextures...; Final Status: 29576 polys; Alpha Status: 0 polys; Light Status: 0 polys; Library Status: 0 polys;; Start Time: 01/05/04 21:57:47; Stop Time : 01/05/04 21:58:43;; Modeling units = 1024.0000; Radius = 4.4344; Radius in meters = 4.4344; Radius in modeling units = 4541;WeedhopperSS_top label BGLCODE BGL_BEGIN 0800h ; version = 8.00 TEXTURE_LIST_BEGIN TEXTURE_DEF TEXTURE_AIRCRAFT , <255,255,255,255>, 2.876533, "MAIN_T.BMP" ; 0 TEXTURE_DEF TEXTURE_AIRCRAFT , <255,255,255,255>, 0.878900, "PILOT_T.BMP" ; 1 TEXTURE_DEF TEXTURE_AIRCRAFT , <255,255,255,255>, 1.202595, "WHEELS_T.BMP" ; 2 TEXTURE_LIST_ENDAppears to me to be pretty plain that the textures are looking forthree .bmp image files.Sure enough, there they are, happily sitting in the texturefolder of the aircraftname folder of FS9's aircraft folder.Can't get any better than that.They are in fact plain-jane 24-bit bmp files easily viewed inpaintshop pro/photoshop/etc. Main_t is a perfect 1024 pixelsquare image. The other two are 512 pixels square.So why the darned conumdrum of them not showing up on my planein FS when they show up just fine in gmax's shaded texturedviewports?Totally stumped on this one and getting very frustrated cuz Ithink everyone is tired of the topic. You've given me 'how-to's'and I've done them plus a slew of other exploratory things to noavail. And you know how many texturing tutorials I've lookedthru? Almost all of them. Aaaarghhhh!

Guest Firestriker

24 bit bmp files ARE NOT read by ANY version of FS to date.

Guest odog

32 bit in fs24 bit in gmaxget a copy of the MakeMDL sdk and keep it on your desktop and learn it, live it, love it. :-)joe

Guest simagic3d

> 24 bit bmp files ARE NOT read by ANY version of FS to date.OH FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!! Was it THAT simple??! Sheesh!Please, please... do NOT stare at the fool.When I said I converted the images in Dxtbmp, I used theDDS option thinking it stood for Direct3D.... buzzzzzt!Wrong... passed right over the Save EXTENDED. Man, do Ilook good with the slimey yellow wet stuff dripping offmy face or what!What can I say... except, THANKS.Obviously you can tell I have textures now... but still nonav lights. Hmmmph! Knowing the way things have been goingover the course of these last two weeks of massive cram sessionsdiving head long into this whole massive learning curve thing,it'll probably turn out to be something just as simple.

Guest odog
http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/56472.jpgLOL :-newbieyou're not the first and you wont be the last... for your nav lights, have you tried slewing the plane a couple hundred feet in the air to make sure your lights are not way off center? your datum position could have gotten fubar'd when you imported the into gmax. just guessing, but this is as simple as, if its in the cfg they should show.cool website you got there, need any help? ;-)joefaceplant3d@msn.com

Guest simagic3d

> for your nav lights, have you tried slewing the plane a couple> hundred feet in the air to make sure your lights are not way> off center?Haven't tried the slew function, just flew the plane... nolights anywhere to be seen. The contact points are working forthe plane (gear, wing tips, prop, tail) so I have completeconfidence that that's where the light have to be as well.> simple as, if its in the cfg they should show.You would think, but this is ME, and my track record divinghead first into this stuff (I do that in a lot of things)re. this endeavour hasn't been without flaw.> cool website you got there, need any help? ;-)I'll keep you in mind if and when a job that's over my headin terms of deadline and content comes along... far and fewbetween. I'm in a transistion point btwn being a full-timeuniversity professor in a school of art and a full-timestudent getting an MFA so I can continue teaching. My 3Dbusiness is on the side.