Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

New plane Config issue

Guest simagic3d

> I found the problem contact...> point.9 = 3, 0.94, 0.00, -2.30, 3000, 0, 0.00, 0, 0.0,> 0, 0.00, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0 // prop strikeWell, now that's just plane ridiculous now ain't it! What'swrong with those coords? Nothing. So I wonder why FS is barfingon it, because the prop spinner point (fore limit) is right nextdoor (above it by 2.3). Weird.

Guest simagic3d

>> When I put FS in slew, the plane will slowly rotate in>> pitchI found the cause. After slewing up, I pressed the JS buttonmapped to zoom in. I discovered slew has it's own set of mappingsand that button was set to pitch up. The other button was pitchdown and so when I hit that one to zoom out, the pitch rotationstopped and that's how I found this out.

Guest simagic3d

Ron,Do you know why there's such a big discrepency in parameter valuesbetween AirEd and AAM?I was looking for the Cm_q in 1011. In AirEd it's the secondfield in the Pitch group with a value I set of 6000, while AAMlist's that same field as "Cm_adot Pitch Moment - Aoa Rate = 2.929"(I saved the .air in AirEd after making the change to 6000 beforeopening in AAM).AAM shows the Cm_q field as the FIFTH one down with a value of -7,but the fifth field in AirEd is "Pitch Stability = 14336"I'm totally lost now.

Guest Douglas K

>Well, now that's just plane ridiculous now ain't it! What'swrong with those coords? Nothing. So I wonder why FS is barfingon it, because the prop spinner point (fore limit) is right nextdoor (above it by 2.3). Weird.Ron,Do you know why there's such a big discrepency in parameter valuesbetween AirEd and AAM?I was looking for the Cm_q in 1011. In AirEd it's the secondfield in the Pitch group with a value I set of 6000, while AAMlist's that same field as "Cm_adot Pitch Moment - Aoa Rate = 2.929"(I saved the .air in AirEd after making the change to 6000 beforeopening in AAM).AAM shows the Cm_q field as the FIFTH one down with a value of -7,but the fifth field in AirEd is "Pitch Stability = 14336"I'm totally lost now.< Welcome to the world of MSFS flight dynamics, where totally (or mostly) lost is the norm.Ini file troubles. You must be using the ini file that came with the AirEd download. If you set the second entry in the pitch stability and control derivatives to 6000, then you edited Cm_adot. The fifth entry named *Pitch Stability 2 by the original ini file is what you want. Go here and download the latest ini file (Oct 14 2003) for AirEd:http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsairfile.htmland place it in your AirEd main folder. Now AirEd will be more in accord with AAM and some of the confusion will disappear.With the new ini file, Cm_q is the still the fifth entry down the list in the pitch stability and control derivatives, but now it looks like this: (INT32_2) *Cm_q Pitch Moment-Pitch Rate (Damping).To clear things up a little further, the parameters you see in AirEd are represented as scaled values. With AAM you're looking at the real values. I always use the latest AirEd ini file from Ron with AAM, by renaming it to 'AAM' and copying it to the Aircraft Airfile Manager folder. I create two folders inside the Aircraft Airfile Manager main folder first, and name them 'AAM INI Original' and 'AAM INI New'. I move the original AAM ini file to the 'AAM INI Original' folder, and place a renamed (to AAM) copy of the latest AirEd ini file in the 'AAM INI New' folder.If I want to read real values I can copy the original AAM ini file back to the main folder before starting AAM. When I'm finished, I copy the renamed (to AAM) AirEd ini file from the 'AAM INI New' folder back to the Aircraft Airfile Manager main folder, and go back to looking at the scaled values. I have no idea what the difference is between the two ini files that cause AAM to read scaled and real values (Ron can explain that), but this is what works for me.Strangely, if you rename the AAM ini file to 'Aired' and place it into the AirEd folder, then AirEd won't display the stability and control derivatives, drag coefficients etc. in Rec 1101, everything is blank. I leave these computer mysteries to people who know what they're doing and concentrate on the flight dynamics stuff.

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Ron,>>Do you know why there's such a big discrepency in parameter>values between AirEd and AAM? AAM takes out the 2048 and a few other scale factors. I've also kept Aired.ini more up to date. However, AAM is the only way to see the shape of the '3D' tables. Ron

Guest simagic3d

>I found the problem contact point.Yeah, Jerry Beckwith discovered that it was a tail SKID andnot a scrape (type 3 instead of 2). Guess I don't really needit anyway. A HUGE thanks to you for finding that one! Myplane now sits happily on the ground and flies almost like thereal thing. Took care of that Cm_q too.Whew. Now on to making a 2D panel.

Guest Douglas K

>Yeah, Jerry Beckwith discovered that it was a tail SKID andnot a scrape (type 3 instead of 2)."So I wonder why FS is barfing on it, because the prop spinner point (fore limit) is right next door (above it by 2.3). Weird.""I don't know."A HUGE thanks to you for finding that one!