Sign in to follow this  
Guest airhead

Speeding up head view in VC

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey all,Reeeeally long time since I was last here. Things have been exploding at FFS, and our Vans RV-7 should be out by the end of the month. We are currently in Beta 1.02 and Beta 1.03 will be out in two days.Guys, I am stuck with a problem. Wanna speed up the head movement in the VC, and read through the SDK and searched this forum for a while, without any results. Perhaps I used wrong key words.Any of you out there knows how to do this?P.S. If anyone would like screenshots or more details of the RV-7, there will be a press release hitting Avsim in the coming days, but you can also e-mail me at miguez@flightfactory-simulations.com or contact me through messenger at fabiomiguez@hotmail.com or use our Live Help in the Contact Us page of our site. To go to our site, click on the image in my sig.Thanks in advance.Best regards,

Guest airhead

Greets Fabio,I think this might help with your problem. While the following will help, I do believe that the graphics adapter you are using will make a difference in the overall smoothness of VC panning as well. As will the complexity of the model's VC, but you likely already knew about that one...Find you FS9.cfg file, open it up and search for the CONTROLS data header. Under it you find something that resembles the following:{CONTROLS}KBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64PAN_RATE=1500 Braces used so this will post OK, they are actually brackets.I don't recall if the PAN_RATE attribute and value are there by default, and if they are, what the default setting was, but play with data value until you get something you like. I believe there is a min-max range for this setting, but off-hand can't recall what it is.Hope this helps a little.BTW: I've seen some shots of FFS's RV-7, if she flies as good as she looks, I believe you guys have a real winner on your hands. :)

Hi airhead,Regarding the VC view etc., do you know of a possibility to reduce the "steps" in which the view pans around? How to make them smaller, and so having a smoother movement? Or is that not possible at all?Would be cool to know.Thanks for any hint!Etienne

Guest airhead

Hello Etienne,Well, kinda.....I think (keyword) much of the "stepping" has to do with graphic performance. In saying that, there are a few things to consider that affect it. One would be your graphics adapter, if you have a really fast one with lots of video memory, it seems to smooth this out a little. I just upgraded recently and have noticed that it appears (again, keyword) to be a bit better. The other factor I can think of has to do with the aircraft you are flying. If it has a highly detailed VC (ie. heavy geometry), I would think this could affect the panning smoothness (will affect fps too). Possibly the number of gauges and panels in the VC, and maybe even the way the gauges are coded...."clean" code vs."dirty". I guess a relatively simple test for some of this might be to try an aircraft like the default Cub and then something a bit heavier like an add-on airliner with all the bells and whistles in the VC. If I get a chance this evening, I might do some testing on this....Hope this helps a little, or at leasts gives you some ideas of things to investigate. :)

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey airhead,Thank you very much, that did the trick! Setting to 1000 seems to be pretty good for me. Since it is in the FS9.cfg (and therefore applies to all planes) we will just recommend this pan rate to our users.Thanks for the words on the RV-7. If you want, I can e-mail you some detailed shots of some of the stuff we have been coming up with :D.

Guest airhead

Hey Fabio,Glad to hear it all worked out with the panning thing.As for the RV-7, I'd be happy to check out some detail shots. Always like to see what developers have in the pipeline. She is definitely a sweet aircraft!

Guest Karl R Pettersen

You can also add a mouse event to the attitude instrument (or whatever) and have mousedrag and headbobbing effects in virtual cockpit. Great fun! :)

Guest airhead

Greets Karl,Yes, I saw your posting a while back on this, and of course, had to play with it a bit. I was unsuccesful in getting the head latentcy effect going, but the mouse look feature is quite interesting. Keep on with the exploration, interesting stuff indeed!