Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobL

GMAX Newbie

AllI thought I would try my hand at GMAX. To that end I bought a couple of books and have been experimenting (mostly playing) with it. Tonight, I thought I would step through the p-38 tutorial. All went well until I got the bitmaps loaded in the viewports. The Tutorial steps you through creating what it calls a calibration box. It shows in the tutorial picture a 3D box encompassing most of the aircraft. The protuberance on the rudders are the only thing extending outside the box. A perfect fit.W-e-e-e-l-l, despite re-setting and re-trying about fifteen times, and despite checking and double checking the length, width, height dimensions and despite double checking the units standard, I am unable to reproduce that perfectly fitting box. The result I get is about half the distance need to encompass wing span, just about right for length and way too high for height (wheel to canopy). And despite all the zooming and moving I can do, I cannot reproduce the result the tutorial shows. It portrays the creation of this calibration box as three numbers, and a click on create and you have this perfectly fitting box that squares around the dimensions of the bitmaps. I've spent close to two hours working this and can't seem to reproduce it. Can anyone offer any suggestions from what I've described or do I need to post a screenie???BobLPS..better yet, is there an experienced modeler willing to take on a 40-something padawan learner???? ;-)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1. scale drawings need to be at proper scale2. ensure they are square3. crop them edge to edge4. scale each to same scale5. get pixels count across length, height, and width6. make all drawings same measurements (l,w,h)7. draw common axis across all drawings for alignment (divide pixels by 2) and draw line8. check pixels measurements across drawings to be exact9. calculate pixels per foot/meter or whatever unit you use in gmax10. calculate scale unit sizes for bitmaps (e.g. divide pixel width by pixels per unit) (do for each outside measurement) to get the pixel to unit factor11. In Gmax, set the option, Match bitmap size as closely as possible12. Create the box in gmax13. Enter calculated width, length, height to size the box in the units used14. Once box is sized correctly, convert it to editable mesh15. Now select all polys and flip the normals so they face inward, not outward16. In box properties, change to backface cull so you can see through the backsides.17. I usually detach each of the sides and name them (top, bottom, left, righth, front, rear) (This allows you to move faces out of the way if needed)18. Now map each box face19. Select your views one at a time, and apply to the box faces20. To avoid selecting faces when modeling, change face object properties to No Freeze in Gray~, then freeze the face.21. Save your workNow you are ready to model.Hope this helps

Hi MiltonThanks so much for the help but I went back to the tutorial and noticed something...Seems not even good folk at Discreet can keep X and Y straight. I was using the instructions in the step by step, bold numbers. But check the narrative. When I reversed to match the description, I got exactly what the picture shows in the tutorial.Thanks againBobL