Sign in to follow this  
elche

3D gauge possibility?

Guest LilSki

I just recently started to really play with this XML thing with the 2D gauges where a thought came to mind. With the new custom animation stuff in the new makemdl I was wondering if what people thought of the idea of a fully 3D gauge. Essentially what I am thinking about is say have the gauge backround a simple texture and the needle would be a 3D animated object. And not only on needle gauges but also a 3D whiskey compass came to mind.I just started to mess with this and have had little success which is mostly due to a lack of expirience in this XML thing. If anybody is interested in this idea I am willing to explore the possibilities. I think if it would work it would offer the possibility of smoother VC gauges.Kevin

The idea sounds great but from what i have read in several forums making 3D animated gauges would kill the frame rates and increase model size (file size). And, if you were to make the 3d gauges you would have to simply stick to those instruments, not allowing other users to create or modify their own panels...But if all i've said above is complete nonsense then I would absolutely love to see 3d gauges!!Diego CoslovichWebsite: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~elche/Seneca.htm (under construction)E-mail: elche@ihug.com.au

Guest ptwaugh

Actually, I am doing this, and loving it!

Guest sdf

There are some add-ons that use allready 3d-gauges. For instance the nozzle position gauge of the AlphaSim SR-71. In this case the needle seems to be a simply throttle position indicator. If you move the throttle, the engine nozzles open or close and the needle turns left or right. This works off course only in the VC.CFS3 aircraft use exclusively 3d-gauges.Some designers use something similar: the normal gauge file contains only the needles and have a transparent background. The visible gauge background is part of the panel or VC bitmap. But it looks mostly bad.

Guest LilSki

I actually ended up gettin a 3D skidball to work in my L-16. I also had a 3d altimeter experiment once but could not figure out how to get the animation to repeat after it finished one cyle. If I knew XML a bit more I could maybe figure but it seems its somewhat possible.Kevin

Guest ptwaugh

Sure.tach_complete.jpgThis is an entirely 3D Dual Tach for my B206B3. Main problem with this approach is lack of night lighting. You have to light it with real lights. So, I'm going to use a hybrid approach. Gauge in 3D, with VC textures.