Sign in to follow this  
Guest RotorRick

aircraft panels and trim sensitivity

Guest wash_forum

Hi all,I'm new with modifying panel.cfg file so I would like to know how to reduce trim sensitivity to avoid aircraft go suddendly up or down just "touching" the correspondant button on the joystick (Logitech Wingman 3D).I have got a new panel for the ATR42-500 but when I just push the trim command to adjust it and try levelling the aircraft, it puts the nose up climbing like a rocket to the moon (or down like a F15)!!It happens only with that panel since with other panels it's ok.I tried to edit the panel.cfg but I found nothing to modify.Thank you, best regards.Bob

Guest Alexander_EFG

Hi,My best, educated, guess would be that it has something to do with your joystick sensetivity settings rather than the panel CFG. To test this you could adjust the trim using the keyboard or mouse and see if you get the same effect...

Guest wash_forum

Well...that's the first thing I thought but if I load another panel for the same aircraft it works fine...then I think it's not due to joystick's settings.

Guest dek

Hi Bob,You seem to be barking up the wrong tree (or file). You want to make changes in the aircraft.cfg, not the panel.cfg.Try changing the line "elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0" in the flight tuning section of the aircraft.cfg file. Values lower than 1.0 decrease elevator sensitivity, and above increase sensitivity.If this isn't enough you will have to make changes in the airfile.Hope this helps,don

Guest RotorRick

>>"Try changing the line "elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0" in the flight tuning section of the aircraft.cfg file. Values lower than 1.0 decrease elevator sensitivity, and above increase sensitivity."Yes, that works for giving you better trim control.However, I've found that on a few aircraft, you can't reduce that number too much, because it causes a problem while cruising at altitude: because it's effectiveness is lowered the autopilot then struggles to maintain proper constant pitch. This usually applies only to heavies, and not to all of them, and if you compromise between manual pitch and the autopilot function, you should be ok.