Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

My gauge coding style recommendation

Please read my suggestions open-minded and criticize it.I would like to see clearly before jumping into biggergauge programming projects (well, I am in already...)I am a newbie in gauge programing, but I have quite a lotC programming experience. Recently I had to touch a gaugecode and I was shocked about the logic it was designed.Later I learned that - at least partially - it was comingfrom the RECOMMENDED structure of gauge programming.The main problem is the "including-everything-together"method. It has the following disadvantages:- everything is global, you are forced to figure out funny variable and function names to avoid conflicts;- it is rather difficult to manage which gauge can see and use which variables;- difficult to test, what happens if I remove/replace a module;- compilation time is long (everything is compiled)I played a bit around and I created a programming stylethat is very closed to the traditional, but allows youto do structured programming.Traditional structure starts like this:=======================================================MAIN GAUGE PACK FILE (TRADITIONAL)//-----------------------------------------------------#define GAUGE_NAME "COM_Radio"#define GAUGEHDR_VAR_NAME ComHdr#define GAUGE_W 100#include "my_gauge_1.c"//-----------------------------------------------------#define GAUGE_NAME "Gyro"#define GAUGEHDR_VAR_NAME GyroHdr#define GAUGE_W 200#include "my_gauge_2.c"...=======================================================I modified the code structure as follows:- removed includes and defined gauge header vars extern- reorganized module code to allow macros work- used all macros to define static vars/structures- only gauge hdr macro is let to global- defined all callbacks as staticThe additional advantage is that I could use constant names for general components:- bacground (static element name)- pbackground (pointer to above)- rect (mouse rectangle)- callBack (gauge call back function)Here is my suggested structure (please be aware of that- for historical reasons - I had to play with an olderversion FS code, but I hope it does not matter):=======================================================My versionextern GAUGEHDR comhdr; // com radioextern GAUGEHDR gyrohdr; // gyroscope...// The gauge table is the same in both versionsGAUGE_TABLE_BEGIN() GAUGE_TABLE_ENTRY(&ComHdr) GAUGE_TABLE_ENTRY(&GyroHdr)GAUGE_TABLE_END()==============================================================================================================INDIVIDUAL GAUGE FILE FOR COM RADIO#include "gauges_2k2.h" // or newer//--- Mouse function ---------------------------------static BOOL FSAPI mouse_cb_1( ... ){ ...}// name of mouse rectangle can be same in each modulestatic MOUSE_BEGIN( rect, HELP_NONE, 0, 0 ) MOUSE_CHILD_FUNCT( ... )MOUSE_END//--- Element callbacks ------------------------------FLOAT64 FSAPI element_1_cb( ... ){ ...}//--- Gauge Callback Function ------------------------// name of function can be same in each modulestatic void FSAPI callBack ( ... ){ ...}//--- Gauge header -----------------------------------// Only gauge var name and gauge name should be set// Notice: GAUGE_HEADER_FS700 is the only macro not static!#define GAUGEHDR_VAR_NAME ComHdrstatic PELEMENT_HEADER pbackground;GAUGE_HEADER_FS700(153, "COM_Radio", &pbackground, rect, callBack, 0, 0, 0);//--- Gauge elements ---------------------------------#define GAUGE_CHARSET DEFAULT_CHARSET#define GAUGE_FONT_DEFAULT "Courier New"#define GAUGE_WEIGHT_DEFAULT FW_NORMAL... all gauge element macros defined as static ...static MAKE_STATIC( background, // this can be the same in each module BMP_COM_BG, &pswitch, NULL, IMAGE_USE_TRANSPARENCY|IMAGE_USE_ERASE, 0, 0,0)// this can be the same in each modulestatic PELEMENT_HEADER pbackground = &background.header;=======================================================That's all by now, but I have some other ideas as well ;)Gabor

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!