Sign in to follow this  
Guest oldngray

Adjustment of elevator trim

Guest oldngray

I like to fly the airplanes I flew in the real world, many years ago. I find that the settings in FS are often not at all like they were in the old classics.In the Super Connie I am presently trying to tweak, just a touch on the up elevator trim on my yoke produces too much of a change in trim. I'd like to make the reaction of that button to be more similar to the original Connie than it is.In the aircraft.cfg file, the value of the item labeled "elevator_trim_effectiveness" is 1.000. Would changing that value to something less than 1.000 result in a slower turning of the trim wheel?I can find nothing in the .cfg file that indicates the rate at which the elevator trim is programmed to turn. I do notice that, in that particular aircraft, even the older auto-pilot, when in altitude hold mode, will adjust pitch in precisely small increments so it must be possible to do so.Even a slight touch of my trim switch often changes the pitch too much. The proper method for adjusting pitch is to place the aircraft in the pitch attitude desired then trim away all up or down forces. Can't be done easily in this plane.Are there other parameters for which I should look in this regard?Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.donmac

elevator_trim_effectiveness is the best way to reduce (or increase) the sensitivity to trim input. Go as low as you need to--try with .25 and work up or down. The sensitivity is also set via the .air file, but I always suggest making changes in the aircraft.cfg first since dealing with the .air file can mean dealing with sometimes confusing tables, numbers, etc.. You have more control in the .air file over certain parameters, but you can also make it hard to keep track of what you're doing, since the aircraft.cfg can contain comments where you note your changes, whereas the .air file can't.-John

Guest oldngray

Thank you once again John! You've been such a great help to many, especially to me, as I try to find ways to make things "feel" right.I'll try lowering that number and see how it works out. Thanks.donmac