Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

News i found at Alphasim fourms!

user called alphasim phil put this inIt's Phil actually, oh and thanks for the for the friendly accusation Evil or Very MadOur models are often sourced from 3rd parties as 'raw' (non-FS) creations and then converted for FS use, ie. animating, optimising and texturing. This is no state secret and has been discussed here before. We use various supppliers, some of whom also sell on TurboSquid. Our F-35C comes from that particular source. If you had bought this, or indeed other models from TS, you would know that the User Agremeents almost always allow for commerical use of images or animations made using the source code. What you can't do is sell on the source code, of course.The image in my pic is of a model based on the TS one you indicate (which of course we paid for) but it has been considerably optimised and already has some animations. My point is, we do NOT, as you seem to want to suggest, simply rip off other people's work then flog it off at a profit. The amount of work which goes into converting these types of models for fligtsim use is considerable, often hundereds of hours as was the case on the Halifax, Osprey and Badger (formerly rather poor De Espona models). Many areas are often scrapped and rebuilt from new, so our input is extensive and fully warrants re-sale at the prices we ask. This is the main reason people sell their source code at TurboSquid, all sorts of companies buy it and use the images thereby created in graphics and animations for all maner of purposes, both commercial and for leisure. The only difference from normal AlphaSim Team models is that the TS author can freely sell his source to anyone, whereas the AS Team guys (also 3rd parties, note) make a model just for AlphaSim.here is the link to the post!http://alphasim3.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=1353&start=15

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I didnt want this to be taken outside the forums. The least you could have done was post more than just Phil's reply to my question. You should have posted the whole conversation, since even I was a bit confused by the copy paste, since I didnt have my original question up there first.They admitted it, so lets leave it at that.

I couldn't get the link to come up for some reason--I am going to try from another location later today or in the morning. I am aware of some model source that's sold and/or sometimes freely given for use in both commercial and non-commercial products. I don't think a site needs to say whether they coded the source from scratch or whether it was ported over and enhanced--IF they have the original author's permission or approval stated in a license. I've seen some 3-d project source sold at pretty steep rates--in the thousands of dollars--and I imagine it can find a place in a payware add-on if the add-on provider feels that's more cost effective than starting from scratch. Until I can open the thread, that's all I really want to say since I don't know the motivation behind your post--I'm just guessing that the discussion may be related to this--but you are welcome to set the record straight and give a bit more background!Regards,John

Basically, Phil announced a new F-35 they were making, and a friend pointed me to a link on turbosquid with the exact same model.I asked Phil to explain himself, and that was his response up there.Edit: Content Removed by forum mod

Thanks for the explanation--I see no reason to carry the discussion in these forums, especially since the post which opened it didn't include the entire discussion in it's original context. I don't like posts which reference a third party who may be unable to participate here--they have the right to discuss issues on their own turf and in their own forums.-John