Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

AI Jet Takeoff Sounds...

Guest abent

Would it be possible to attach a wav file in some manner to AI jets, and for that matter any AI planes, to have a takeoff engine sound?What would be involved in triggering a wav file after say the aircraft has lined up on the runway and starting to roll.Could this be some way programmed into the aircraft.cfg? Maybe it's not possible as it may have to be hard-coded into FS.It would be really neat to have this I think. I have a great wav file sent to me by a buddy. It sounds very realistic but you have to manually start the wav file.Thanks,Adam

Guest Ruahrc

There are some add-ons I have seen in the avsim library that do just this. IIRC, he tied the playing of the .wav file in to the activation of the strobe light (because the AI jets activate strobes as they turn on to the runway). The .wav consisted of about 60-90 seconds of silence followed by the sound itself. So in reality the wav file plays immediately upon activation of the strobe but you hear no sound until about a minute later due to the silent portion of the .wav.The same methodology was used to create AI startup sounds that were linked to the beacon effect.It's a trick to tune the length of the silence, however, since each different AI aircraft takes a different amount of time to line up with the runway and spool up. Also, I think airport geometry has a little influence too (i.e. position of the hold short in the AFCAD, length of the taxi from hold short position to runway threshold, etc). So the best solution is to create a wav with some reasonable average length of silence. The idea could be extended to include a different wav for each AI plane type, since you can just make a new effect (associated with a different .wav file) for each aircraft type and then assign them accordingly in aircraft.cfg. It'd get you better results but it's a lot of work for a small gain.I wonder (knowing nothing about .fx programming) if it is possible to link an effect to maximum thrust condition? Then you could associate the .wav to play when the aircraft reached maximum thrust, which would solve all the silence delay problems.Ruahrc

Guest abent

Thanks a lot Ruahrc. I'll look for some of these files. It would be interesting to see what variables could be used to trigger the sound. I know that AI aircraft taxi into position and hold for a few seconds before takeoff. I guess one would have to select a sequence of variables that would occur only under pre-takeoff conditions and not at any other time such as stopping during taxi for other aircraft.Since I also know about fx programming, I'm just guessing.Adam