Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbaye

Capturing Joystick input for non-traditional uses

I have a nice home cockpit with lots of gadgets; but when I travel I like to use my laptop and gamepad (for it's compact size) to fly. The game pad does not feature a sliding throttle control like most joysticks have.I want to develop an alternate throttle control using the input from a self-centering joystick on a game pad. I Plan to use this feature with Jets only, so I think it might be possible to map a prop joystick axis as my input. FWIW, I have a registered copy of FSUIPC.Design Intent: The joystick input range will be divided into 5 zones: Null, Slow change, Fast change With changes in both the positive and negative directions. When the Joystick is in the null position, the throttle condition (% throttle) will remain fixed. In the +Slow zone it will slowly advance the throttle, in the +Fast zone it will quickly advance the throttle. Retarding the throttle will work the same way as -Slow and -Fast zones. The null zone will be quite wide to avoid changing the throttle as the second axis of joystick is used.Here are my questions:Will this approach work... i.e. if I use the prop-pitch axis or cowling axis while flying a jet will do I run a high risk of having an unstable system?Has anybody done anything like this in the past that I might use as an example?Thanks,- Chris

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!