Sign in to follow this  
Guest rkruijer

Grahic card problem?

Guest rkruijer

I made a gauge showing text. Sort of pick list with several collumns.Com1 frequencies is one of them. Using arial en fontsize 11 or 12.This works all fine on my 3 different computers.Gave it to my brother to test and it works fine on his 2 computers.Now I have another friend who's also testing it and he complains that the frequencies do not fit the column??? He sent me a picture and indeed. Half of the last digit in119.22 does not show. The column seems to be too small. We checkd to see if he had the proper fonts available. I am using arial and quartz. No problem there.We are all using lcd 1280x1024 which in my opinion should not play a role in this.Any ideas?Roelof

Guest iholrf

ohhh ohhhh.. I have fought with this problem a lot. All I can tell you for sure is that it relates to the differences in PT, PX, in game guage scaling and DPI more than resolution, though resolution changes can and will mess it up.There is no simple way to explain this. Web developers encounter this all the time with CSS (xml in FS is nearly the same as CSS/XHTML when it comes to presentation issues).The only way to fix it is to a make sure the "box" it sits in is bigger in px than the pt size of the font, but not so much it forces the font to think its in a different size group.If somebody has a formula for this, I have yet to find it. For me it has been a long process of trial and error.As for why three seemingly similar machines running at similar resolutions would show this problem, one has to consider the fact that unless all three are using DVI-D (not DVI-I or VGA), the refresh rate and scaling is handled by the RAMDAC on the video card and thus become somewhat more dificult to control as its an analogue signal and error will creep in during the conversion process.Fully digital flat panels do the scaling and refresh at the monitor level and bypasses the DAC. Digital flat panels look sharper at non-native resolutions than analogue. They are also a whole lot more rare, usually being reserved for the higher end of the spectrum. The vast majority of flapanels are of the analogue VGA/DVI-I type.Because the VGA type monitors use a DAC, there are often minor differences between similar monitors because screen DPI and refresh rates not being translated in a precise way. AutoSynch has helped this a lot, but it will never replace a purely digital interface for performance and precision.So as you can see, there is no easy answer that I am aware of, and a lot of factors will come into play.CheersShad

Guest rkruijer

That is a mouth ful Shad. It's the last thing I would get in to.However I learned by e-mail that he managed to solve the problem.I will keep you posted when I find out what he did.Roelof

Guest rkruijer

This what he did121.97He added FontSize="11" It probbably defaults to 12. I don't know.But it is still strange that we did not have a problem with it.Roelof