Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

What's with these FSX ADF gauges?

Guest fbnweoghnwd

I'm trying to find some FSX-compatible ADF gauges (XML), which I want to customize by modifying the bitmaps. They need to be analog, and can either have an automatically rotating compass card or manually rotated (actually, I need one of each). All the ones I've found in FSX don't seem to work - I tune in a nearby frequency, rotate the aircraft around, and the needle doesn't respond. The aircraft I've tried so far are the Beech Baron, DeHavilland Beaver, and DC-3. I tried slewing up in the air to make sure the signal wasn't being blocked, but no such luck. Am I missing a trick here, or don't ADF gauges work in FSX? (I had no problem getting them to work in FS9).-Mick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

If you are going to do the artwork anyway (the hardest part), why not just learn XML and do your own?

Guest fbnweoghnwd

Actually, the art part isn't the hardest thing for me, since I'm an artist by trade. The code-wrangling is what makes me cringe. And since I haven't been able to get ANY ADF gauges to work in FSX, I doubt that I could come up with one that does. There must be something else going on here...I mean, people ARE successfully using ADF in those planes I mentioned, aren't they?

Guest EnGauged

I can assure you that the needle on the ADF gauge works fine for me, at least.I don't suppose you have a failure set on your ADF? (Aircraft-> Failures-> Radios-> ADF1).As long as you're near an NDB and tuned to its frequency, it should work! Which NDB are you using?

Guest fbnweoghnwd

I just got it working.All the tests I had been doing were at Missoula Airport, Montana, with 0240 tuned in. In FS9 this test always made the needle point to a nearby NDB, but in FSX there's no response. But I tried loading the default flight and switching to the Beech Baron, and the needle is working fine.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

You have to be off the ground in the mountains, and at minimum reception altitude.