Sign in to follow this  
Guest fbnweoghnwd

Flight dynamics gurus: Heli won't behave on the runway

I can get my piston engine based FSX chopper to handle great when it's in the air. But on the ground, in a fast roll, it's a different story. At about 15 knots it slides all over the place like it's on ice. Any faster and the wheels leave the ground; first the back, then the front (it's got 2 rear wheels and a nosewheel). I can make it behave a lot better on the ground by increasing the weight, but then it can't get enough lift. If I then increase any of the many factors that give it lift, it just cancels out the extra weight and it's back to bad ground handling. Any way to get the best of both worlds? Ideally, I'd like it to be capable of rolling takeoffs and landings at 50 knots, but I could live with 30.-Mick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

So, like what's yer question? :DFlight dynamics is a dark art, and you can learn much, but...not from a Jedi. :-bigangelLong ago in a galaxy far far away... FS used to use one "model" for ground operations, and one for air, but the "force" is unified into one model for both. As a result, aircraft tend to do the "weather vane" in the wind, if you are not careful.Best to stick to an existing airfile if you ask me, and modify as little as possible, until you have completed your Jedi training.

Interesting about the dual flight model...maybe they should have kept that sytem. One problem with choppers is that they're all necessarily derived from one of two flight models. Both of them use skids...so ground handling on wheels just doesn't seem to be in their bag of tricks.