Sign in to follow this  

Where does that BGL go?

Hi,I need help concerning the format of FS2k2 scenery files.I am planning to write an add-on-program that needs to examine third-party sceneryfor FS2002 to find out where on the globe it goes.I understand that information can be gathered from the BGL-Files themselves. I have downloaded the Scenery-SDK from Microsoft (is there one for FS2k2, I only found the FS2k-version). The documentation there list a BGL-File header. That header has fieldsfor the lat/lon bounds of the scenery.I have spent the last few hours trying to read and interpret those values but I cannotget anything plausible. I have even found BGL-Files that are smaller than that header alone is supposed to be :-).Is there any other source of information, sample code in (almost) any programming language,or other way to find out where on earth a piece of scenery goes just by looking atthe files (not by asking the designer. Using brains and a readme-file is considered cheating too)?I am trying to make an inventory of add-on-scenery that is geo-coded and can be usedto find and install scenery by giving a geographic area or even a flight-plan.Am I right in reading the BGL-File header at all? The sample given in the SDK supposedly adds a wireframe-cube to the end of the runway at Meigs. The docs state that the bounds given are 400+ km away from the box. If those margins are true for most third-party scenery thenthe header is not really good for my purpose, I would like to be ably to pinpoint sceneryby a few miles at most.Ciao, MM

Without having actually looked at a binary BGL (I assume you are looking at it in a hex editor), I can tell you that if you get a decompiler that turns out SCM code, it's in there in readable text.Thomas LinTaxiwaySigns.comVolunteers (testers and designers) needed, please visit the site for information

Hi,>Without having actually looked at a binary BGL (I assume you >are looking at it in a hex editor)Sort of. I started reading the binary header, yes.>I can tell you that if you get a decompiler that turns out >SCM code, it's in there in readable text. Excellent advice!I found SCDIS, checked it's code out from sourceforge and found myerror almost immediately. Thank you very much.Ciao, MM

Hi,>>I can tell you that if you get a decompiler that turns out >>SCM code, it's in there in readable text. Alright, I managed to read the header and have now analysed a lot of BGL-Files.Unfortunately the bounds given in that header are not always "tight". I have found BGL-Files that claim to contain scenery for a small island but whose header smears them across most of the pacific.So it looks like I have to find another way to determine location for scenery.Thanks anyway.Ciao, MM