Sign in to follow this  
Guest rafaelds

simple questions about modelling in gmax

Well, here they are:I have an object (a simple box) but one of its sides is being considered as two polygons (one with two facets and the other with three). How can I 'merge' both polygons into only one? And after I do that, is there any way I can simplify the polygon? (because two triangles are enough to draw a square, five is a little too much for me).Thanks a lot.Rafa

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Rafa, here's one way: In the mesh edit modifier, select polygon. Then click on each polygon to select and delete (just hit the delete button). Now click on the CREATE button. Going counter-clockwise, click on each of the four points and click on the fourth point one extra time. You will now have a single polygon forming the face of the cube. Another option is to use the optimise modifier. It's great for simplifying (reducing the numbers of polygons) objects, but I'm not sure if it will apply only to one face of a cube. Best regards, Chris

Thanks Chris.Exactly when I was applying yout technique I found a better way: I converted the object to an editable poly and then using the "edge" mode I created and deleted edges quickly where I wanted to. And after doing it, an 'optimize' reduced a lot the number of unnecessary triangles (though not as much as I wanted).Rafa