Sign in to follow this  

FsRegen 0.25a : Things get hard (and landable)

Friends Hi again.The latest FsRegen will let you create hard surfaces (platforms you can land onto).As the manual is well behind the current version, here's the way to do it.Create a horizontal polygon with 4,5 or 6 sides. (Create more if you want, just give every one a different material below) Don't forget to convert it to editable mesh.Give it a "special" material (check the manual for this one).Export.Select the asm file and open it in the main FsRegen window. (Don't forget to "Backup" if you want to mess around without re-exporting from gmax)Select the material in step 2 (in fsregen).Select "Landing Area" in step 3 and click on parameters. Tool tips will inform you of the settings. On step 4 process the material ( if more than one repeat)Save and Compile.If you only want to create platforms with no other scenery, there is a file called "tmpMisc.asm" in the fsregen folder after each processing. This will also compile and will have nothing else but he platforms section (it goes in a different category from normal objects). You have to compile manually though.That's it. I was tempted to make a massive Airship with a runway in it.... Not much time left though.I also added the ability to see binary data of bgl files in the Library tool.I used it a lot and thought some of you may find it also useful. This is what it does :The header of the bgl files contain pointers (addresses) of where the data for various things are. Fsregen will locate them for you and show the binary numbers. This should help all the people trying to decode various aspects of bgl structure. :-) It only shows you the first 256 bytes of each block, but if asked I can make it variable.That's it folks.All the best to all of you.George

Absolutely wonderful, George! I'll download it right away and try it out tonight. I think this is what many of us have been waiting for. Could this one be used for sloping runways, or does the polygon have to be exactly horisontal...?BamceEFHN

Hi George I will down load you new version as well and get back to you. Dan

Guest hefy_jefy

Could this fix the "bouncing" problem when the new taxiway is not where the original (MS) one was?I just starting to find my way through the mass of information in the SCASM doc's but can't find anything about "smooth" runways?Geoff

Hi Friends.Bamce, As far as I know there is no way appart from terrain to make anything slopy. The hard surface is nothing else but the terrain below "projected" to a flat horizontal polygon of a certain height.This is kind of bad news for you Geoff. What it means is that whatever type of surface is right under your current horizontal position, with a hard surface will be brought up to the new height (of course not visibly).I wanted to include the modification of surface type as well, but I was very surprised to see that it is done in a totaly different command, in a totally different section of the bgl (in "terrain" not "miscellaneous" where hard surfaces are defined) with a totaly different method of coordinates, plus a condition of it's own.It's in the list though and I will look further. It would just delay the release for too long, as I have minimum info of the "ground" section (as MS calls it).In the meantime if you find any other method apart from hidden runway, please let me know (I'm talking MASM here :-) )These more off the mainstream topics are full of puzzles if at all mentioned in the documentation we have. Many stories to tell... :-)Happy testing allGeorge