Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Need help pls

I have 903 mb free in my c: drive and 2045 mb in my E:, what you recommend for virtual memory c: or e: and the amount of it. i have 512 ramTIA

Guest Max Cowgill

What operating system are you running and what type of applications do you use mostly? With 512MB ram (if you're running Win2k/XP) you really don't need more than a 256MB virtual memory size (for most applications anyway) since you're not likely to run out of physical memory unless you're running quite a few programs at once or trying to manipulate extremely large files. If you're running Win9x, either ditch it or lose some of the ram, as anything around (or above) the 512MB mark can cause issues in Win9x.Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>What operating system are you running and what type of >applications do you use mostly? With 512MB ram (if you're >running Win2k/XP) you really don't need more than a 256MB >virtual memory size (for most applications anyway) since >you're not likely to run out of physical memory unless >you're running quite a few programs at once or trying to >manipulate extremely large files. If you're running Win9x, >either ditch it or lose some of the ram, as anything around >(or above) the 512MB mark can cause issues in Win9x. >>Max CowgillMax,win98 can easily handle up to 1.5 gigs of ram.The problem is that Vcache is limited internally to a maximum VCache size of 800 MB. On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be large enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions such as opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine). This problem may occur more readily with AGP video adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in the system arena.(dont ask me, I am kind of done with AGP for today) :) Remedy: To work around this problem use the following method: MaxFileCache: Set it to 512 MB (524,288 KB), or less, in the [Vcache] section of System.ini to reduce the maximum amount of memory used by VCache (maxfilecache=524288) . Usually with more than 128MB RAM, you should limit MaxFileCache to 70% of total installed physical RAM but MaxFileCache MUST NOT exceed 512MB (524288KB). Read ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 (limits paging) - helps if RAM >96MB & there's little paging. :)There is plenty of information in the Microsoft Knowledge Base to help you with this if this is a problem.How did it go with your Card?Paul

Guest PaulL01

As Max said it depends on what you want to do, burn a CD, use FS2k2 etc.Down-load a program called Cacheman, it can adjust your settings depending on what you want to do and if you dont like the changes will easily revert back to your old settings.Paul

Guest Max Cowgill

Paul, I realize that Win9x can handle more than 512MB ram, it just doesn't always do so without a little coaxing, as you mentioned. The operative phrase in my previous post being "...*can* cause issues..." As for the Radeon 8500 I *TRIED* to buy, BB would not match the price of the other BB that had it on sale for $76.50 :( They wouldn't come down on price at all either... That's the last time I try to buy hardware from a retail store, unless it's a for-sure deal. cheers,Max Cowgill

Guest RoblHend

I'd go with at least 1GB.Robert

Robert,Any reason you're replying to a thread almost four years old? Just curious :)-John