Sign in to follow this  

mips in transition

noticed an odd difference between the visibility of the mips at the transition of my scenery to that of ms2k2 default. I'll bet its because my conversion to dxt1 + alpha used Martin's code, which works but is different from nvidia's.comments? Martin?If you want details about how I got to this point, I posted my process in tom lassiters thread.on the right hand side, you can see the transition is good, my scenery and the default display the same mip, and cuz its the same texture, the transition is seemless. a bit further to the left, you can begin to see the transition cuz my texture is holding onto a higher detail mip longer than the default.Bob B

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Imagetool produces better mips. DxtBmp will tend to exaggerate stray pixels that may be off full transparency by one or two units (those that aren't exactly G:255).

Sorry I've confused you, I didn't use any transparency. I was referring to Martins code that was used by Elrond in his fstexconvert program to combine a main image and alpha image and convert to dxt1+alpha (fs2k2).Bob B

That is an interesting point - if Martin's tool has this effect. I didn't think about it. I just thought it was FS refreshing the newer scenery before it checked the old scenery. That really doesn't make sense but I've quit questioning MS practices that don't. Your idea seems to be more plausible though.See ya.

Hi Bob,As Martin said, the mips are generated a tad different using the 2K2 method as opposed to the Nvidia method. But whats shown seems to be the same problem as discussed often in the main form, not a difference in mips.FS has the annoying trait of bogging on mip updates - specially bad when its directly in the area you are flying in. No 3D program/game I've ever seen is coded in this manner because it simply ruins the visual experience when it happens. MS needed a way to fix the horrid stutters in FS2000, so delaying the mip updates was part of their "solution". At times, lower mips are displayed in the users flying region when they should be resolved to the full texture.Since the textures for the area you are flying in come from different folders (the generics in their folder and your aerials in their own folder), I'd stab a guess that FS caches textures for generics and customs slightly different. All of the mips for all textures, custom or generic, are handled in the same manner in FS, but its possible the separate locations of these might explain why the problem is showing up on your scenery border. In other words, the generics might have higher preference than customs.I'd be interested hearing back if you test using the Nvidia method for those textures. I'd think because of the above that it would show the same problem. If it doesn't, that would prove what I guess above quite wrong.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif