Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

any tip or software to relocate rivers and roads?

With the release of new highres Meshes, like the Terramesh ones, there is a "secondary efect" to the scneries. The mountains look pretty well, but the rivers and the roads many times have "absurd" and ilogical tracing, like rivers flowing over the high peaks or counter the gravity, or so on.Does anybody know some tip or software to correct this issue? Maybe with the Landclass packages?I think the perfect tool would be some like the AFCAD. An dedicated tool only to trace the rivers and roads "point to point", in real time, something that AFCAD does pretty wlel with Parking Zones,taxiways, runways, etc...If a "guru" of Software were able to program this tool, I think the Flightsimmers community would be grateful with him eternally.I'm afraid that I'm not this guru. I have no idea of programming.I guess that all the information about rivers and roads are packaged in the .bgl files of the folders ..FS2002SCENEDBeasthem and ..FS2002SCENEDBWesthem. Does anybody know if this is true?Is possible decompile and edit the "geographical data" of this files?Please, be patient with me. I'm newbie in scenery edition...

Guest GerrishGray

Hi CarlosThe road and river data is indeed in the scenedb folder and is part of the terrain mesh data. It is not possible to decompile and edit this data direct, but we can delete it for a particular area simply by deleting the relevant file, and we can replace it by creating a new file - see the thread on this forum concerning 'TMF to BGLC'. Replacing all the roads data, or all the rivers data, for one of these areas is quite a big task but is certainly within the realms of possibility.Now that we are learning how to create these files, I expect that someone will produce a GUI tool to let us do it graphically before too long, a bit like AFCAD as you suggest.By the way, it cannot be done with landclass scenery, which simply determines the application of generic ground textures on a grid with a resolution of approximately 1km.Exciting times ahead as we learn more about the possibilities of terrain mesh files and people develop GUI tools for creating them ...Gerrish

THX for your response, Gerrish.I have observed many times that the data of the rivers, roads, coast line, islands, etc in fs 2002 is exactly the same that the data of the Atlas MS Encarta 2000.Hey, I'm not joking. I use many times this tool to determinate the coordinates of many significative zones in the world (great mountains, cities, etc), and I have observed that the defects and imprecissions of the terrain in Fs2002 are EXACTLY the same in MS Encarta 2002, specially in the rivers and their tracing and width.I guess that MS have simply used a "translation" of the database of Encarta to create the mesh in FS 2002. By that, maybe, if anyone would be able to "translate" a more precise terrain information to the bgl files of FS2002, the results would be very more aproximative to the real world.But I'm afraid that I'm not saying anything new...

What a clever observation.Followed by a truly well thought out question.If Microsoft would only release how exactly this is done it would cause a great deal of joy and happiness amongst the scenery development community.They could call it the Scenery SDK or something like that.

Guest christian

The data set M$ is using is the 'Digital Charts of the World' dataset from ESRI, which is freely available, although I'm actually not too sure if M$ has to pay ESRI license fees to use it. It's only accurate to 2km, but if M$ would use different data sets, you'd be paying $100,000 for your copy of FS2002, not $50...Cheers, Christian