Sign in to follow this  

Distorted Textures Using GMax

Hi everybody ... I've been reading some earlier posts about textures getting distorted when mapped to a GMax model that has an irregular shape. Has anybody found a good way to map textures to GMax models without it getting distorted (ie. stretched, non-aligned, etc.)Thanks,Jay

yep, I found different results when I started working on my primitive by using "convert to editable mesh", than when I added an "edit mesh Modifyer".I ALWAYS use modifyers now added to the stack.so....1. add "edit mesh" mod2. select face or polygon subobject3. apply texture (if you need to use more than one texture)...otherwise, you can apply your texture before step 24. apply uv map5. align the gizmo to the correct axis6. apply unwrap uvmap7. click open uvmap unwrap, and click select face8. click planar map9. click edit10. in the edit box, click the display selected face only button at the bottom11. move the highlighted handles to the right place on the texture12. click on the top of the stackand it should work (famous last words)Bob Bernstein

Bob, thanks a lot. I just tried it, but am getting the exact same result. I must be missing something so I will keep trying with your instructions. Appreciate the feedback as always.P.S. The attached screenshot shows the photo of the hangar as it should be versus what I see in GMax after the bmp is mapped. GMax seems very powerful, but with it comes a bit of frustration. I'm sure I'll learn it someday. Thanks again.Jay

Hi Jay part of the problem you are having is due to the fact that your geomitry is not the same shape as your "picture" see how your mesh has a "slope" on the side well the "picture" part of the texture does not have the same shape as your mesh so it WILL distort. Think of it like sticking a picture on a box the picture and the box are the same shape now crush the box a little guess what happens to the picture it distorts right?. Here is one way to fix your problem. use only mapping not unwrap then select the gizmo from the stack under UVW and play around with that( the gizmo) by selecting the different modifiers like "select and uniform scale" and "select and rotate" if you have properly selected the gizmo the bounding box will turn from "ornange" to yellow telling you that you are in "gizmo mode" if the bounding box is "orange" then doing the above will move or resize the model NOT the texture as when the bounding box is orange you are in "normal mode" not "mapping mode" and like I said you will then move or resize the model not the texture!. Also you could try another type of mapping like "box" and see what that does. Hope this is of some help Dan

Bob and Dan, I can't thank you both enough for your help. Between the advice from the two of you, I think I am finally learning how to apply textures! My hangar looks like a hangar and I'm on my way to texturing other buildings. Your help was invaluable. Thanks again,Jay